Chapter 40 - The night it all went wrong

Start from the beginning

"Wow." I heard, looking up to see the blonde teenager staring at my glowing hands in awe as they healed his burned fingers completely, burnt flesh fading to fresh pink skin.

"Good to see you're back, you were a little out of it there!" I smile watching him look up at me and stutter out a thank you.

"You should be okay to head back to the training ground, Kaminari was it?"

"Y-yeah. Is it okay if I sit in here for a little longer? I'm still kind of exhausted from earlier." He asked with an awkward smile. Poor kid was pushing himself past his limits.

"Sure thing! How're your fingers feeling now? Any numbness?" I asked leaning back in my chair and crossing my legs casually.

"No, they feel fine! That's amazing by the way! How does your quirk work?" He asked me staring up at me like a puppy.

"Thanks, I use my own store of energy to speed up the healing process. That way I can make sure you kids are okay and that you still have stamina to keep training!" I smile as he nods his head in understanding.

"You look pretty young to be a nurse? Sorry if that's a rude thing to say! I didn't mean you aren't qualified! I just meant-"

"Haha don't be silly it's fine, I get that a lot!" I laughed looking at his flustered face.

"Okay I should probably get back before Mr Aizawa shouts at me! Thank you Miss Kita!" He almost shouted, hopping up and bowing awkwardly before running out.

***Timeskip***

The day continued as normal, students from both 1A and 1B would get hurt and I'd be there to heal them becoming more and more exhausted as the day went on.
I did end up sitting beside Momo and a sweet boy named Sato, eating the wide selection of sugary food before them to try and gain back some energy.

Though even with the constant snacking on sweets I was still ravenous by the time dinner was being served.

"And that is why I will never date a guy with a man bun." Pixie-Bob concluded after we had eaten the curry the kids had prepared. She had been giving Aizawa, Vlad and I a breakdown of her dating history which to be fair was far more entertaining than mine, although Aizawa looked like he was about to fall asleep at any minute.

"You know Eraserhead here is single and I hear he likes cats." I joke earning a glare from said catlover. Pixie-Bob looked hopeful momentarily before seeing Aizawa's glare and shrugging it off.

"I prefer blondes anyway." She grumbled as Mandalay and I tried to hold in our laughter whilst Vlad nodded along clearly not listening to the conversation.

Within seconds the Attack on Titan theme song thundered from my pocket and Kaminari and Kirishima began to sing along only for Bakugou to hit them on the back of their heads rather harshly and tell them to shut up.

"Sorry, I better take this." I said excusing myself from the table and walking outside to be greeted with the cold night air.

"Hey Songbird, I missed that beautiful voice of yours and thought I'd see how you are." Keigo's smooth voice said through my phone.

"Aww I miss you too Birdy, it has only been one night away though. How's Peanut?" I smile pulling my cardigan tighter around my body and looking out at the dark forest that surrounded the building. There was something about being out here alone that made me feel closer to Keigo. The quality of his voice was heightened by the absence of everything else.

"That's one night too many for me. Don't worry the baby's fine though he still hasn't managed to say 'dada'. I've been looking into houses by the way and I think I've found one you'll like. I know it might be a little early but I just got excited!" He chuckled awkwardly and I could only imagine how cute he must look with his blushing face.

"Not at all, what's it like?" I ask playing absentmindedly
with my slightly threading sleeve.

"It's cute, not too big not too small and it's close to UA so you won't have to take the train anymore! Plus it's two bedroom so we've got room for down the line, you know if you ever want a chick in the nest?"

I felt myself stop for a moment. Kids with Keigo? I mean maybe in the future but it felt strange to think about. Not a bad strange, more of a fluttering feeling in the pit of my stomach and a resounding understanding that life is moving on from what I have become accustomed to.

"You still there? Sorry, I didn't mean to scare you off Babybird! It was supposed to be a joke ... not that I don't want us to have kids, I'd love that but you know I still have to pop the question and all that!" He rambled clearly embarrassed by my silence.

"Good to know! Don't worry Birdy you've said nothing wrong but now I'm super excited to see this house!" I say with a smile still looking out to the dark woods encompassing the entirety of the training grounds. The sound of shuffling feet broke through the quiet world however and I watched as the students made their way towards the tree line for the 'test of courage' challenge that Vlad told me about earlier.

"Hey I should probably get going the kids are doing a challenge in the woods and someone always gets hurt!" I chuckle watching Shoto shuffle out alongside an angry Bakugou who clearly didn't want to be partnered up with him.

"Challenge in the woods huh? Sounds fun. Please don't think I was trying to pressure you there baby I just got carried away and-"

"Honestly Birdy it's okay! I couldn't imagine starting a nest with anyone else ... I miss you." I say moving away from the wall.

"I miss you too. Go look after those kiddos and you'll be back with me and Peanut in no time. I love you." He said with a clear smile in his voice.

"I love you too. Goodnight Birdy." I smile and make my way over to the starting line as the kids of 1A began to walk into the woods preparing to be scared by the students of 1B.

"There you are! You talking to your boyfriend?" Asked Mandalay with a wiggle of her eyebrows.

"Yes, in fact I was." I laugh as Pixie-Bob groans.

"Damn you and your happy relationship!" She moaned and pushed my shoulder playfully.

"Hey I'm sure by this time next year you'll be- do you smell that?" I ask confused sniffing at the cold air and being hit with the strong scent of smoke. It was always smoke. The one thing that reminded me of Touya but also almost always resulted in danger.

"Is it one of the kids quirks?" Asked Pixie-Bob, worry evident in her voice.

"I don't think so. Shoto rarely uses his left side and he isn't the one supposed to be scaring anyone. He wouldn't use it."

"Somethings wrong." Mandalay whispered looking out to the woods, an ominous cloud of black smoke enveloping the mountain range and reaching out from behind the scorching tree line.