𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟕 : 𝐆𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐥𝐞.

"Is it too much to ask for something great?"

----------------------------------------

IT was an early morning with the fog still lingering over the little, identical houses that lined each side of 19, Johnson Street. Harry was here at Mathers Residence.  

"Hey!" He said, smiling way too bright for how early it was.

"Harry?" Abby asked, rubbing the sleep dust off her eyes and blinking to focus her eyes on the man she had just seen last night standing outside the threshold of her door with a big, brown bag in his hands.

"It's me, darling. Were you still sleeping?" He asked.

"It's 7 in the morning. Not everyone's a freak like you, of course I was asleep," she grumbled.

Harry, feeling particularly brave after last night, stepped in and wrapped two warm arms around her tired figure. He smoothed his hand back and forth on her back and she felt like she could just melt from the comfort that was so rare to her.

Tucking the hairs shrouding her face from his view, he asked softly, "M'sorry, Abby. Come on I'll take you back to bed and make you some breakfast while you get some rest."

Abby, too tired to protest his doting that she was no stranger to, hummed in agreement and let him guide her back to bed. After she came back home last night, she had to unpack her necessities to ease the anxiety traveling brought her even though her eyes were drooping shut and then when she finally got under the covers, the sounds of her mother getting in the house, laughing with what sounded like two other women disrupted her peace. She only managed to get two hours of shut-eye before Harry's arrival broke her slumber.

She wouldn't tell him that of course. She was going to let him think that she had come home, do whatever she needed to do, and go straight to bed. He already had issues with her mother and she knew he wouldn't think twice before jumping into an argument with her regarding her parenting.

She hated when he did that. It made her feel like the same, vulnerable 15-16 year old back in high school when her mother really began hitting rock bottom and reminded her about all those sympathetic looks from her teachers, her peers, hell even from Harry even he tried to hide it. She felt weak.

She hated that. She liked feeling strong and independent, like no matter what - she's capable of having her own back. Which is also why she had been lying to Harry about getting rent money from her mom. She had actually been working multiple jobs to keep up with her life in France which would probably send him into a frenzy of worry. He liked taking care of her, he hated not being able to help and would probably lash out if he knew she was struggling to make ends meet. That she had actually finished a 10-hour shift before hopping on the plane.

Hell, he'd probably buy her an apartment or something. Give her an allowance and all that. She was confident in how much he cared for her after years of him drilling it into her brain. But she could do this on her own, she needed to prove that to herself. 

"You get some rest, alright?" He told her as he pulled the blanket up and covered her up to the chin with it making sure she was protected from the early morning chill. He felt the familiar guilt roll in his stomach knowing he probably should not have come so early. Sometimes he was a stupid fucker.

But, after last night, he couldn't fucking wait.

He needed to see her.

"Thank you, Harry," she slurred, nuzzling her pillow and tucking her hands under her chin, looking as comfortable as ever.