Chapter 26

Chapter 26

The next morning went by much better for the Shepherd/Grey family.

Meredith was feeling much better. Her lungs felt a lot clearer and she could breath better.

Derek was also feeling better. He hadn't slept since Meredith was intubated a few days ago and he was now in good spirits.

"Good morning." He said as he kissed her softly. "Morning. How's Zola?" Meredith asked as Derek took a seat on her bed.

"She's just fine. Wants her mama. Mom loves spending time with her favorite grandchild." Derek smirked.

"Favorite?"

"I'm her only son. My kids are the best." He said with a grin. "Plural?"

"Maybe someday." Derek said. "Derek, it would be very hard for me to even carry a baby let alone get pregnant. You know that." Meredith replied in a defeated tone.

"We can adopt again maybe." Derek suggested.

"I don't want to go through that again." She sighed. "Does that mean you don't want to have another?"

"No. I would love to be able to carry a baby, Derek, but i have a hostile uterus and I can't even stand on my own. And the whole adoption thing was a mess last time." Meredith explained.

"Okay. We can talk more later." Derek said, kissing her forehead.

"Grey! How you doing?" Bailey asked as she came in with a kind smile. "Good. When can I get out of here?" Meredith asked. Bailey sighed. "I want you At least two more days. We need to make sure your lungs stay clear."

"Bailey, I'm fine. I want to go home with my husband and baby." Meredith argued. "No meredith. You're staying for at least 2 days." Bailey said sternly.

"Can Zola come then? Just for a few minutes?" Meredith begged.

Bailey was stumped. One part of her wanted to let Zola come. She knew what it was like to have to be away from your baby for a few days. And it was hard. No mother liked being away from their babies.

But the other part of her brain knew it probably wasn't very safe. Meredith was doing very well, medically, but the risk it brought could be dangerous.

"Fine. But only for 10 minutes. No longer. And I want you to wear a mask." Bailey said. "Good. Sounds good. Thank you. Derek, go get her. Please."

"Okay. I'll be back soon." Derek said, kissing her softly before walking out of the room. "Get some sleep Grey. See you later." Bailey smiled as she left the room as well.

•••

A little while later, Derek returned back to the hospital with Zola. Bailey gave Meredith a mask and made sure she put it on before Derek entered with the baby.

"Ma!!" Zola exclaimed happily as she wriggled her tiny body in Derek's arms. Derek laughed and put the baby in Merediths lap, where she climbed up.

"Hi baby." Meredith murmured, holding the baby in her chest. "Ma." Zola mumbled contently into her mother's chest.

"You've grown in the past week" Meredith smiled sadly

"Has she been sleeping okay?" Meredith asked Derek, as Zola was already conked out, the sounds of her breathing in the room.

"Probably not. She's...been crying for you a lot." Derek admitted. "This is why I have to go home." Meredith said, looking at Bailey who had just entered the room.

"Meredith, don't guilt trip me. I am not your friend right now or your mentor, I am your doctor. That may sound harsh, but it's true." Bailey said.

"Please, Bailey."

"No. I'm going to leave now before I give in. You gave 5 more minutes Grey." Bailey said sternly before walking out of the room.

"You'll go home soon." Derek said lightly. "Soon can't come....sooner." Meredith groaned. Derek smiled sympathetically and watched his wife and daughter

5 minutes later, Derek had to bring Zola back home to his mother, due to Bailey's strict rule. "Just a few more minutes?" Meredith begged.

"I can't, Mer. Bailey will kill me and she'll kill you." Derek said apologetically. Meredith frowned as Derek took their daughter out of her arms.

"Ma." Zola moaned sleepily. "Bye baby girl. I love you." Meredith whispered as she kissed her head. Derek smiled sadly at Meredith before walking out with the baby.

Meredith ripped off the mask and closed her eyes as she watched them leave.

•••

Derek dropped Zola off with his mom and drove back to the hospital. He hated having to take Zola away from  Meredith, but he knew it was for her safety.

He got back to Meredith's room and found her fast asleep.

"I'm sorry it was so short, Shepherd. I just didn't want to compromise her recovery. You know how germy kids are." Bailey said as she walked up to him, looming through the window.

"I know. I just feel bad. I can't imagine not being able to see Zola for more than 10 minutes." Derek replied softly. "She should be good to go in a few days, and then she can be with Zola all she wants." Bailey said.

"Thank you Bailey. For taking care of her." Derek said thankfully. "It's my job, Shepherd." Bailey responded. "Thank you." He repeated. Bailey gave a pat on Derek's shoulder before walking off again.

Derek entered Meredith's room and took a seat in one of the chairs. "I love you Mer." He said with a smile. "Love you too." She mumbled, half asleep.

"You're still awake?" Derek asked

"Hmm.. I was thinking about us" She admitted "Derek.. We can make this work and in the future we can think about expanding our family and I'll be capable of doing normal things and.. we'll make it work" She said as she opened her eyes to look right into Derek's eyes

"We'll make things work" Derek smiled back as he took off his jacket and layed down next to Meredith. His arms around her small body.

"I love you, Mer" Derek repeated

"I love you too, Derek" Meredith gave him a small smile before burying her head into his chest and the two of them dozen off.

Hey guys! We hope you all enjoyed this chapter and hope your all doing well. As always, go follow _Ktje_