Chapter 9

Sitting on the couch with his daughter on one side and Miranda on the other, Ben contemplated if he should let them in on his secret or not. Miranda had her feet in his lap while he rubbed them and Brielle just had her head on his shoulder. They all sat watching the Marvel series WandaVision per Brielle's request. She swore it was the best show ever.

He wasn't going to lie it was a good show so far but he had other things on his mind.

"Uh, guys I have something I'd like to talk to you guys about really quick." He said pausing the show

"It better be good if you're pausing WandaVision."Brielle said

"It's very important. It's about my job." He said

"Did you get fired?" Brielle asked trying to get to the point.

"No I didn't get fired but I'm not working at the hospital anymore." He said

"What did you move hospitals? I'm confused." Miranda said

"No, I'm not a doctor anymore. I'm a firefighter." He confessed

Silence met his ears as he waited for a response.

"I thought you were a firefighter over 10 years ago. When did you go back?" Miranda asked

"I went back a few months before your parent's anniversary party. I had only quit because I had to take care of my dad and anesthesiology was all I knew so I did that as a practical job. I couldn't keep up with my shifts at the stations and taking care of my dad. So I took leave then just went full time at the hospital. I've been lying to you guys because I knew you'd worry about me firefighting again. Look I know it's not the safest job and I've been keeping this from you but I love firefighting. I even started so mobile surgical unit, so technically I'm still a doctor. A surgeon even but fighting fires is what I love. I had to learn to love anesthesiology. It's just not the same." He explained to them.

"How are you a surgeon? You never did an intern year, residency, or anything for surgery." Miranda said baffled honestly she was just needed to make sense of everything.

"Firefighting, that's um...that's dangerous." Brielle said shocked.

"It's not always dangerous. It's just routine some days, other days yeah it's dangerous but your dad is good at what he does." Ben explained to her.

"I'm used to you changing your
mind you've done it all your life but I just want you to be sure this time Ben. There's more to worry about than you and me like it was when you wanted to start a new adventure every day. We were kids then but now we have a kid. I just want you to be sure you'll retire as a firefighter. I need this to be the last career. Brielle and I will adjust if this is it." Miranda said looking at him

"This is it, I promise and I know I have more to worry about. You guys are my passion for every day that I breathe. I just couldn't go on with the lies. I've never been a good liar and I was running out of cover stories." He said

Brielle just sat there. He looked at her hoping for a response.

"Bri...do you have any questions, comments, concerns?" He said ready for whatever she was going to ask.

"No concerns here. Of course, I'm fine with the dad I just met running into burning buildings every day. Of course, I'm fine with him risking his life to be some hero instead of doing his regular job that was completely safe. Of course, I'm fine. I'm fine with everything, all of the curve balls I get in life, I'm fine with them. The random guys at anniversary parties who turn out to be my dad, the random moves to an entirely different state to be closer to a dude who's a stranger. Brielle, she took it like a champ. I don't ever get to settle, do I? Every time things get alright something or someone has to come shake it up? I'm tired of being shaken, sometimes being still is what I want. I don't think I can handle another adjustment like this. I just can't." Brielle said storming off.