Four weeks to go!

Riley

'Yes, dad. I promise I'll be there' I reassured.

'I know you think it'll be a waste of time, but I have a feeling that you'll love it' My father encouraged.

'Love? More like dread it... Maya and I haven't spoken to each other in the last three years. I'm not even sure if Smackle remembers I exist, and Farkle... Well we used to maintain contact until two years ago when his dad handed his company down to him. So except for Lucas, I don't know anybody anymore. After that it was just chaos city. So if you want me to believe any good can come from this reunion then you're just delusional' I spoke out of a fit of anger.

'Riley Matthews!' My dad called out sternly.

'I'm sorry that was just misdirected anger'

'If there's anger, then there is hope'

'She'll never forgive me... I miss her more than anyone' I felt myself wallow into self pity. Me quitting my job just added to my decreasing mental health.

'It was supposed to be us versus the world and now I'm all alone without her' I gulp.

'I know honey, but I also know Maya and she loves you to death. You just need to let her know that you're sorry and I promise you'll be back to best friends in no time'

'There's one more thing' I cautiously add.

'What thing?'

'I kind of quit my job and now I'm unemployed'

'Why did you quit? What happened? Last I heard you loved your job and were doing incredibly well' He was confused.

'There was this ground breaking news story I was working on for months and when I finally showed it to my boss he said he can't publish it because it defames famous people who have apparently some ties with our company' I say all in one breath. I'm a fully grown adult who is twenty eight years old but still feels like she's a tween who is answerable to her parents.

'Riley, take a breather first. You did the right thing and I'm proud of you for sticking to your principles'

'But I still have bills to pay and this job had taken me a year to find in the first place. And my resume literally just has masters in journalism and then a two and a half year job at one of the best companies, which I smartly quit. Even if I do manage to get a job it'll take forever for me to get the pay I was getting before'

'Riles you need to calm down. Why don't you fly down to New York this weekend and stay with us. A vacation will do you some good and anyways you have to be here for the reunion soon, so come early.'

'Are you sure that's okay?'

'Of course, honey. Now go and book the tickets'

'I love you'

'Love you, too' He says just before hanging up.

Four weeks to go until the dreaded reunion!