Six weeks to go!

Smackle

'Isadora, sweetheart... How are you?' My mother spoke from the opposite end of the telephone.

'I'm doing good, yeah. I just wanted to let you know that I can't make it to India for New Years. I recently found out that my high school is organizing a reunion during the same time' I replied.

Was I looking forward to meet everyone, of course I was. It's just a mere coincidence that it lined up with the plans I made with my parents, so definitely a double bingo.

'Oh, I'm sorry to hear that baby. I'm sure you tried your best' I could hear the disappointment in her voice and for a second I genuinely felt bad.

'Next time, then?'

'Of course, I love you sweetie'

'Me too' I said just before hanging up.

The truth? My parents never really cared for me. Growing up I had Asperger's syndrome, which is basically an autism spectrum disorder that causes significant difficulties in social interaction and repetitive behaviors and interests. I struggled through most of my teenage years, and where were my parents during that time? Going on yoga retreats, and meditation camps.

Even though I tried to reach out to them on numerous occasions, they never seemed to prioritize their only daughter. Ironically, the reason I became a therapist. I just wouldn't want anyone to ever feel alone, or have to go through the difficult patches of life alone. Though I'd have to credit my mother because she's really tried to make an effort to reconnect, nay connect with me in the last five years. I told her that I forgave her before, but honestly its just hard to completely forget the sense of abandonment I felt. The people who truly got me out of it were my friends, but mainly one very special person. Farkle, the first love of my life, and my best friend. Even though we might not be very close anymore, I'll always remember him to be a very special part of my life.

Last year, my mother and father moved to India in search of attainment of peace and quiet. They asked me to join them, but I'm not a very spiritual person. In middle school I had made up my mind, to focus on pursuing a career in science but in college I realized that maybe running away from what I feel would never solve anything. Although I was someone you'd consider a bright student, no grades ever fulfilled me or even brought me an ounce of happiness.

Ever since I've been a therapist, I feel like my life has meaning. Helping even one person get well or just find a vent out is a truly fulfilling job.

I carefully open my drawer and pull out my laptop. Since its a Sunday, I don't have much to do so I browse through the reunion details and quickly book my ticket to Hawaii.

Six week to go, and then Aloha everyone!

Just Like Old Times? |GMW REUNION|On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara