an almost lost holiday

Days turned to weeks, and weeks turned to months. Days went by as usual, shots, pills, idiot nurse interns, emotionless doctors telling me whats improved or what hasnt, feeling the need to constantly remind me im stuck here. There is one good part of the day. My daily visit from one of the gang. I was still in critical condition, so it was still only one at a time for about an hour a day, but it kept me going. Yugi would bring in little games to teach me, Joey and I would practice dueling each other, Tea would bring over some magazines, Tristan would bring a few books I asked about, Bakura would bring in my classwork and homework so my grades wouldnt slip. They were still ticked at my father for trying to break his way in here, so they wouldnt let him in, but he sent letters and little treats ( unfortunetly the doctors usually confiscated those ). My brother was still studying back hime in England, but he sent a letter everyday.

I kept every letter he sent in a stack on my nightstand, and I absoloutly refused to let the nurses thow any of them out. I actually remember biting a nurse's hand when she tried shoving them into a plastic bag. I havent seen my brother scince I left with our father to Japan, and the hospital didnt have uch of an internet connection, so video chatting like we used to was out of the question. December rolled around and I was told I would leave in the second of january. It was good news sure, but it also ment I was going to be stuck here through Christmas. Christmas eve and Christmas day was going to be spent all alone in a freezing hospital bed. My dad was still banned from visiting, so he couldnt even come over. I dont know what the hell he did to cause THIS much trouble, but I hoped at least in light of the holidays, they would forgie him, but it didnt look good. I guess the day the gang all pushed their way in there didnt help much either.

Times became busy for everyone, and the gang stopped coming aroun as often, not it was their fault mind you, I understood family events came first, but I was still all alone. I decided to pass the time practicing walking. I felt like a toddler just learning to walk again, stumbling around, staining to keep balance for more than a few steps. My right leg burned whenever I put too much pressure on it, and I developed a stong limp. Soon the doctors came in with a single crutch telling me that any more walking would just cause more damage. I asked how long I would have to spen with a crutch, but I never got an answer. I took that as either a few years or the rest of my life.

Great. Alone, and in crutches on christmas. Freakin perfect. The sun began to set, and the hospital outside became almost empty, either peope went home to their familes, or were hiding in backrooms having little mock christmas parties. I laid in my bed, compleatly hopeless and pathetic. I didnt even want to try crutching anywhere because it would only remind me that I needed crutches. I kept playing over the last few days, the slowly decreasing visits, the emotionless doctors telling me I was going to spend christmas in a hospital, the painful walkes and the damn crutch they gave me. I shut my eyes not wanting the little tears forming in my eyes to spill over.

I dont know how long I laid there, listening to the painful silence around me in the frozen air. I thought I heard something, but I shook my head. Jus tmy mind playing tricks. a few seconds later, I heard it again. It was like a soft thudding, like hushed footprints. They grew louder and louder and suddenly there was a soft knock on my door. " Sombra? Sombra, you awake? " "..Joey? Tristan?" they peaked their heads into the doorway. They were crouched low to the ground for some reason. " What on earth are you guys doing?! How on earth did you-" " SSHH! Keep it down! " Tristan whispered. "...You guys snuck in here! Are you out of your minds! You could be arrested! " " We could have been arrested for a hundred things we did back in school. " Tristan joked. " C'mon, we are bustin you out! " "..busting me out...you guys came here just to do that?! " They chuckled at my shocked reaction. " C'mon Banx, its Christmas! We couldnt leave you alone now! Yugi's having a party at the shop and we wanted you to be there, now get your things! "

I found the change of cloaths I was brought in with. They still have a few holes, including the bullet hole in the side, but the nurses put them through the wash. I stumbled in th bathroom utting them on. I didnt care what would happen if we got caught, I had been here for three months, I HAD to get out! I almost fell out of the bathroom I was so excited. Igripped the door for support, and grabbed a crutch. Joey let me use his shoulder as extra support. I caught them staring at it, but they didnt ask, and I didnt want to tell them. Sneaking out of the hospital was far easier then it should have been. The crutch thunking on the tiled floor caused a bit of noise, but the music from the wanna-be party in the break rooms covered it compleatly. It was late, and the hospital was technically closed, so no other employes were there, so once we were in the lobby, we were clear. Outside it was stowing horribly, and the air was freezing, but with the effort it took, I was almost sweating. It was good catching up with the guys again. It sounded like school was as boaring as ever, and everyone sounded like thye improved in dueling.

" Yeah, you should see the game shop Banx, Yugi and Grandpa really did the place up. Your dad even shoed us pictues of YOUR tree decorating when you were little! " They both shot me goofy grins and I could feel my cheeks burn red. " OH GOD which ones did he show you! " Thy spent the remainder of the walk teasing me over cute little pictures f me in dumb sweaters and pig tails or stupid ornaments I made when I was in elementary school. Ugh.. I was never going to live them down...wait? " My dads with you guys? " " Oh we forgot to tell you, Granps started spenging time with your dad after he got tossed out of the hospital. The two kinda hit it off...though they bicker a lot..." Joey explaied. I almost didnt reconize the game shop when I saw it. The entire place was covered in white lights and elegant decorations. There was a closed sign in the window, but there was quite a comotion inside. Isaw Tea, dressed in a cute little santa themed dress, Yugi in a festive green shirt and reindeer antlers, Gramps and my own father laughing over a bowl of eggnog.

We slipped back inside quietly, with the music going it was easy. I crutched a bit in the room and waited a few seconds for the song to end. In the short few seconds of silence between songs, I shouted, " Go Bless us everyone! " in my best tiny tim voice. I was almost knocked over with hugs and cheerful words. My dad even picked me up. " Sombra! Finnlay I get to see you! Those #%%^# a the hospital threw me out!" " Of course they hrew you out! You almost punched a doctor! " Gramps yelled. " you did WHAT! "

So I got to spend the holidays with my Dad and Friends after all. The doctors were gonna kill me when I got back....but.. It was worth it. Happy holidays all!