Chaper 38: Goodbye, Mondstadt!

Not long after I waved goodbye to Sucrose and Albedo, I was off to the Winery. In my backpack, I had some blankets, food, jars for the samples, and mora for the road. I also brought my book, Veras Melancholy, as I still hadn't finished it.
Although I kept my ears open on the way to the Winery, there still wasn't a sign of any treasure hoarders. Had they decided to leave me be now that I had a vision? That's doesn't feel right either, though...
Deciding to think about it later, I knocked on the Winery door and was greeted by Adelinde. "Ah, y/n. Master Diluc will be out in a moment. Please, come in for some coffee."
"Thank you," I said gratefully as I stepped inside. She walked over to a side table and poured a cup, handing it to me.
As I took a sip, I noted that it was some decent coffee. Not as spectacular as Jeans, but it wasn't half bad.
"So, you and Master Diluc are going to Liyue?" She asked, watching me drink the coffee. "How is it?"
"The coffee is good, thanks," I answered. "Yeah. We'll be back within a week at the most, I'm sure."
Adelinde nodded. "Will you watch out for him?"
I tilted an ear, a little confused. "What do you mean?"
"Will you make sure he isn't hurt? Again?" The way she spoke seemed out of character for her. While her confident and usually dense exterior somewhat remained, there was a hint of caution to her tone.
"Of course," I answered without hesitation. "I wouldn't let harm come to him again. Last time was bad enough. I could never let something like that happen a second time."
"You speak as if it was your fault," Adelinde said, her usual self returning.
"I can't help but feel like it is," I answered truthfully. "Why is it that you are worried?"
"He is all that remains of his fathers legacy," she said, a hunt of sadness to her tone. "He believes his fathers legacy is the Winery, the business. Diluc fails to realize that other people care for him."
"All that mattered to his father was that Diluc would live on," Adelinde said. I was surprised for her to give me all that information. Was what she was saying that important? It had to be.
"Diluc wouldn't hesitate to give his life over the Winery, or even you. That much was proven," she said, glancing at me. I felt guilty somewhat. "But just..." she sighed. "I wish he could believe otherwise. That is all."
I nodded, not completely sure how to react. "I understand," although I didn't one hundred percent. Had he really been that ready to sacrifice his own life for mine that night? "I'll make sure he isn't hurt. I promise."
As she nodded with a slightly grave expression, the door on the far side of the room opened. Diluc walked in, his eyes landing on me immediately.
"Ah, you're here," he said, smiling. "Adelinde, why didn't you inform me?"
"Forgive me, master Diluc," she said, taking my empty mug. "I was giving y/n some coffee and the time slipped away."
"Just small talk," I said, keeping quiet about our conversation. "I figured you weren't interested in idle chitchat."
"How did you know?" Diluc said jokingly. Chuckling under his breath, he walked over. He had a similar backpack to mine, likely stuffed with similar items. "Now then, should we head out?"
I nodded, and began to walk out the door. "Take care, Adelinde," I waved to her.
"You as well, y/n," she called out as we walked down the path and towards Liyue. I could have sworn she said something else, although I couldn't hear it. The wind came and swept her words away, carrying them to who knows where.
"So, do you know which way we're supposed to go?" I asked with a small laugh, simply following him down the trail.
"Vaguely," Diluc said sarcastically. "Wangshu Inn is quite spectacular. You couldn't miss it if you tried."
"Really? I can't wait to see it," I said, turning my eyes forward on the path. "Have you stayed there?"
He shook his head. "Not quite. I've walked past it, thought. You'll like it, I can tell."
"You can?" I asked, curiously.
"There's sweet smelling silk flowers planted around there," he began. "And the inn is built on some large stones, and a large tree grows in the middle."
"Oh wow, really?" I said, captivated by the description. "It sounds like a really beautiful area."
He looked at me for a moment, and then turned his eyes back to the path. "It is. It reminds me of something."
"Hm?" I tilted my head, an ear raised.
"It's nothing," he said, pushing the idea back.
"Hm... okay then. You know what I think you would like?" I said.
"What's that?" Diluc asked curiously.
"My mother makes some good wolfhook pie, you should try hers," I said, remembering the sweet taste. "It's the same recipe as the one I use, but it's always better when she does it. Not sure why," I shrugged.
"Maybe it's the same reason why you like my wolfhook juice more than the premixed ones," he said, coming to a conclusion.
"Because it's made by someone I care about?" I said, blushing a little.
He looked back for a moment, surprised. He grabbed my hand, guiding me along the path. "You could say that."
"Or is it because it's made with love?" I said mischievously.
He cheeks turned pink for a moment. "You're good at guessing," he chuckled.
"Hey Diluc," I said, gripping his hand lightly. The sound of our footsteps were soft against the dirt.
"Yes dear?" I blushed a little. Diluc always called me that at a good time, right when it seemed perfect. I could I only wish I had his timing.
"...I love you," I said, holding his arm. It took be a moment to get it out, and I said it hesitantly, a little afraid for some reason. Why was I afraid?
He almost tripped over his feet, a little caught off guard. "You do?" He asked me, although I couldn't tell what he was feeling based of his tone. I dared not look up to his face.
"I... shouldn't have said anything," I said, trying to go back. Although you can't undo words, I knew that much, I wondered if I had made the wrong choice. Would I only scare him away?
Diluc stopped, putting his other hand to my shoulder and turning me towards him. "Don't be like that," he said, moving his hands to my cheek.
"I was only surprised," he said. I could see him lean to my level, although I still kept my head down in embarrassment. He lifted my face, and I hesitantly look to him.
"I love you too, y/n. Please... don't you ever forget that."