Chapter 28: Red Wolfhook

Done with work, I wasn't surprised at all when I saw a friend outside the door to the lab. "Hey Kaeya," I stretched, holding Noelles letter in my hand.
"What's that in your hand?" He asked, pointing to the wax sealed envelope.
"This?" I asked, holding it up. "Jean asked me to give it to Noelle."
"I won't keep you then," he said, steeping aside. As I walked past him, he opened the door to the lab.
"Are you visiting your boyfriend again?" I asked mischievously. He turned to me with a slightly shocked face, his cheeks red. "What? I'm not wrong am I?"
Kaeya stood there with his lips sealed, thinking of what to say. "Well, aren't you off to see yours later?" He smirked, satisfied with his response.
I gasped slightly, pretending to be offended. "How dare you?" I said playfully, but my cheeks were red. "Although you aren't wrong..."
"I knew it," He crossed his arms as he faced me, his leg pushing door open.
"Okay, have fun with you boyfriend, Kaeya!" I said loudly, Kaeya panicking a little when he remembered the door was open and Albedo would surely hear.
He pointed at me seemingly offended, although his smile betrayed him. "I'll get you for this y/n!"
"I'm sure you will," I called as I ran out the headquarters door. "See ya!"
I giggled a little when I was out the door, and then I calmed down when I remembered the letter I was meant to deliver. She said good hunter, right?
And so, off I was. Down the steps and past the fountain, I predictably saw Noelle having tea with Barbara. They sat at the table, talking cheerfully as Barbara poured Noelle some more tea.
"Thank you, Barbara. But please, allow me next time," Noelle insisted, as always. I had always guessed that she was far too kind for her own good, and didn't always let others do things for her. This supported my conclusion.
"Noelle, you are always like this!" Barbara said with a smile. Setting the tea down, she grabbed her cup and took a sip. "Just let me do something for you, at least once in a while."
I listened on as I approached, not hasty to interrupt their conversation.
"Oh, Barbara..." Noelle said shyly. "Alright... but only if it's you."
I smiled a little, seeing how positive their relationship was. "Noelle, Barbara," I said, grabbing their attention. "Sorry to interrupt, but Jean asked me to give this to Noelle."
Noelles eyes widened a little as she carefully took the letter in her hand. "From Jean?" She said somewhat excitedly.
"Is it what I think it is?" Barbara said, shifting in her seat in anticipation. "Open it Noelle!"
Noelle held it in her hands nervously. "I don't know, I don't think it's the one..." she said, seemingly discouraged. "I don't want to be rejected from the knights again..." so that's what that was... was she a maid for the knights in hopes to get in?
"Noelle, you should open it," I spoke up, offering her a small smile. "It could be."
"Oh, alright," she caved, opening the letter with haste. Noelle unfolded the paper, and I watched her eyes dart it the left and then the right as she read over the letter quickly. Her eyes suddenly widened. "I don't believe it..."
"You made it?" Barbara asked cheerfully.
"I... I did," Noelle said in disbelief. "I've been trying for so long. The traveler really did help me out..."
"You don't sound convinced," I said, laughing a little. "How long have you been trying to get into the knights?"
"I... a while, to say the least," she smiled, laughing a little. "Oh... I should get Grand Master Jean some flowers and deserts, as a thank you!"
Noelle hopped out of her seat and took off down the street. "Noelle!" Barbara called out to her, sounding slightly dejected. "Oh, today was supposed to be your day off..."
"Maybe you should go with her?" I suggested, shrugging.
"Oh, she does this every time..." she looked over at me, and then froze in recognition. "It's you! You came to see Diluc yesterday, right?"
I nodded, taking a seat for just a few minutes. "Yeah, I made sure he made it back home last night. I'm heading over there in a few minutes, actually," I smiled to her, my ears twitching as I remembered that I had to tell Diluc about my newfound skills.
"I'm glad to hear he's alright," Barbara said with a smile. Suddenly, she gasped a little. "Oh, that's right! Here, I made this salve with some red wolfhooks the other day. This should help his wound heal sooner."
Barbara pulled a vial of a red, jelly like substance out of her pocket. Placing it in my hands, she stood up. "Make sure he applies it at least once each day after cleaning the wound, that jar should last a week. He'll be better in no time!" She said cheerfully, and then turned to the direction Noelle had left in. "I have to catch up with her, let me know if you need anything else!" And off she took.
It seemed to me that Noelle and Barbara were very similar to each other. They both seemed very selfless, and worked hard to care for other people. Although I grew curious. Who was the traveler that Noelle mentioned?