Chapter Nineteen

A little intro to Byun Baekhyun--

Entering the confines of Heaven after many months was almost like a chore to Seokjin. The images of off-white buildings and white- well- everything, just made it so bland compared to Earth, where everything had color to it. 

His polished shoes clicked on the white ground, wings spread out behind his tall, broad frame as he walked confidently. Soon enough, he had entered the confines of his good friend, a small smile stretching Seokjin's lips before he places himself on a chair, legs crossing and wings draping over his body. 

"You wanted to speak for me for a while, so please, make it quick, I do have things to do in the human world, you know," he muttered softly, fingers twisting a small ring around his pointer finger. 

Byun Baekhyun as a beautiful angel. He always seemed carry a sense of calm and crazy all at once, hence why the two males clicked so quickly. But he also had a sense of duty, as his job was to ensure that those blessed for the Heavens actually made it. 

"Hyung, this is about that boy, Jeon Jeongguk. If you let him continue on this path, he won't be able to go to Heaven. Did you know that his little friend is going to turn him once the human finishes his schooling?" 

Of course, being the intelligent angel that Seokjin was, he already was aware of the information that Baekhyun had just spoke of, simply offering a light nod as his fussed with his bangs, adjusting them accordingly. 

"Of course I do, Baek. I am Jeongguk's guardian angel, but you also know that I cannot interfere, friend of his or not. it is his path to take, and I know for a fact that he has fully accepted it and in fact anticipates it. He has feelings for that Taehyung boy."

His gaze drifted off, mind far away as he looked back on how Jeongguk and Taehyung treated each other, and how kind and caring they were to one another. "Their feelings are still developing, of course, but something is most certainly there. I won't harm that." 

A heavy silence surrounded the two men, or rather, angels, until Baekhyung let out a soft sigh. His eyes narrowed in on Seokjin's scarily calm face, lips pursed and hands folded before him as his back straightened. 

"Hyung, you need to stop this path. That human is not meant to take this path. This was never supposed to happen to him. That vampire's awakening was not part of the plan. Not to mention that this path will only hurt him. That vampire does not care for him, this was all he wanted, knowing that once the human is with him, they will never part."

While his gaze remained stern, worry flashed in his eyes, which Seokjin mentally agreed with, as he too was worried about his friend, but somehow, he felt as if he could trust Taehyung.  If anything were to happen to Jeongguk, he would do anything for him, even if it meant losing his wings. 

"I understand, and agree, with your worry, Baek. But I trust him, and I trust Taehyung, for the most part. You know that if he were to hurt Jeongguk in any way, I would make sure that the vampire suffers immensely." 

No matter the cost, Seokjin truly would do anything to protect Jeongguk. 

---

It was lonely without Taehyung. Two days had already passed, and he hadn't left his room except for school. His mind was beginning to wander, and it had become more and more difficult to focus. 

So he finally decided to go out. Slowly, he put on a pair of sweatpants and a hoodie, pulling on socks and shoes, and grabbing his necessities before quietly opening the door, and stepping into the hallway. 

It was empty, and pin-drop silent, save for his soft footsteps that seemed to echo along his path. It wasn't until he reached the stairs to go down to the first floor of the house that someone interrupted his path. 

Taehyung's brother was leaning against the frame to his bedroom, door wide open. He too was dressed in an outfit similar to Jeongguk's, expression somewhat curious. 

"It's late, human. Why are you going out on your own? You do realize that actions like that are why people disappear at night, right?" 

Slowly, he bobbed his head in agreement with the vampire, eyes casted to his feet. 

"I.. I know.. I just- I can't sit away anymore, I need to get out for a bit before I go crazy.." It was silent for a moment before a sudden tap on his shoulder made Jeongguk jump from surprise, head darting up to see Yoongi standing next to him. 

" I'll go with you, human. Taehyung will kill me if I let you go off on your own, especially if you died."

With a small smile from Jeongguk, the two males made their way outside, and into the cool night air. There was a light breeze, with clouds hiding away the moon and stars. Jeongguk let his head tilt towards the sky, eyes drifting shut as he took in the cool air. 

It almost reminded him of when Taehyung would pull him close at night, and the coolness of the vampire had clearly grown to be comforting. 

The two walked in silence, going around the empty streets and simple embracing the solitude and serenity of the night. 

"So, this is our first meeting... You're Taehyung's brother, right?" 

At long last, Jeongguk broke the silence, trying to start up a simple conversation with the elder male. 

"I am, yes. Step brothers, technically. But we are really all we have ever had, besides Namjoon, of course. We've been a sort of... Trio... For as long as I can remember. What do you see in my younger brother, human?" 

Jeongguk simply let out a small hum, stopping to sit himself down on the curb, listening as Yoongi joined him. 

"Well... Taehyung is...  Something else, to be honest. He... Well... He has been kind to me, even though he really has no need to be. He never had to even bother with me. The truth is, vampires always have, and always will be, stronger than humans. If he ever decided he was done playing house with me, I wouldn't even have the chance to blink."

Jeongguk paused, sucking in a deep breath and exhaling softly, arms wrapping around his body to keep warm. 

"I owe him my life. If he hadn't been on that bridge that night... Then I would have never been here right now. I would have died miserably. I would have lived a miserable life, I would have died knowing that I could never stop my step brother from doing what he did to me, I would have died knowing that I never overcame what was thrown at me."

Another short silence passed, and then Jeongguk was able to gather his bearings, and continue. his story. 

"My step brother seemed like the golden child when he and his dad moved in with my mom and I. But once they moved in, he tormented me. He would... Touch me.... And it never stopped. I was too scared to be called a liar and have my words thrown away by my mother, so I never said anything, and I wish I had now...."

"Humans only live one life, and we are so fragile, that we need to live the one life we have to the fullest."

Jeongguk let out a soft laugh, eyes looking up at the sky as he drew in another breath. 

"I never knew when I would die growing up. It was always inevitable, obviously. But I could never even begin to predict it. It's weird to think that I am one of the few humans who actually know when they are going to die, months before it's going to happen."

"Humans fear the unknown, death included. We don't know where we will go, or what will happen to our bodies, our souls. Yet, I was one of the many who chose they wanted to throw it all away, and stare death right in the face. Once day, I think I'll begin to understand why Taehyung hates death so much... He hates the way humans throw around the dice and gamble with their lives. He told me so when I almost jumped, but I don't quite get it yet... Since I still have the privilege of dying when I want." 

Softly, Yoongi patted Jeongguk's shoulder, before standing up, and offering a hand to the human. 

"let's head back, yeah? Your heart slowed down, it's getting too cold for you." 

Jeongguk laughed a bit, but took the vampire's hand, and the two began their walk back. 

"By the way Jeongguk, Taehyung doesn't hate that humans can die. He hates that he can never kill himself, even if he desperately wanted to."