𝙲𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝟷𝟸: 𝚃𝚑𝚎 𝙳𝚎𝚖𝚘𝚐𝚘𝚛𝚐𝚘𝚗

"I need your assistance with Subject Two," Dr

"I need your assistance with Subject Two," Dr. Brenner informed Sarah.

"Subject Two?" Sarah asked, still frozen to her spot by her younger self's door.

Dr. Brenner sighed and wiped his hand across his face. "Yes, Subject Two, the mind-reader and matter-manipulator," he said in exasperation. "She's turned Joey into a dog."

"Y-yes, Pa-Dr. Brenner, sir," Sarah stammered, just barely catching herself from calling him "Papa".

Dr. Brenner's eyebrow raised as he gave her a strange look. Sarah bit the inside of her lip, hoping that he'd let her slip-up slide, but she wasn't so lucky.

"What's your name?" Dr. Brenner asked, taking a few steps closer to Sarah.

"Sarah," Sarah answered immediately, wincing as she made yet another mistake. There was something about being back in his presence in the Lab that was making her uncharacteristically nervous. It didn't help that she still hadn't completely recovered from her realization that she couldn't change anything and that her life was seemingly predetermined. "Sarah Harrington, sir."

"Sarah?" Dr. Brenner asked, taking another few steps closer to Sarah.

Sarah instinctively tugged at her left sleeve to cover her tattoo, drawing Dr. Brenner's attention towards it.

"Show me your wrist," he demanded, now closing the space between them and trapping Sarah against the wall.

Sarah's mind and heart both raced in tandem as she tried to determine what to do. She struggled to focus on anything, making it very difficult to open a portal. Zapping Dr. Brenner with her electricity would temporarily incapacitate him, but she could hear other Lab personnel shuffling along the adjacent hallways. She wouldn't make it far. Dr. Brenner would immediately know that she was one of his subjects and the entire Lab would come down on her in a matter of minutes. She'd be a prisoner, yet again. 

"I've got an idea," James' voice informed her. 

Sarah instinctively pushed his voice to the back of her head, but part of it lingered. Despite the fact that she had told herself that she'd never use James' abilities again, they did present an ideal way out of her current predicament.