𝙲𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝟷𝟷: 𝚃𝚑𝚎 𝙽𝚘𝚝-𝙳𝚊𝚝𝚎 𝙳𝚊𝚝𝚎

Sarah turned to focus on the wall before her, envisioning herself at the Lab as a child while she studied one of the painted floral patterns

Sarah turned to focus on the wall before her, envisioning herself at the Lab as a child while she studied one of the painted floral patterns. Despite her determination, she was quite surprised when it actually worked. An empty white hallway stretched out before her, welcoming her back inside the prison that had contained her for so long.

As Sarah lifted her leg to step through, she glanced back at Diane, who was watching her quietly and carefully, not making a move. This made Sarah hesitate and her foot slowly fell back to the floor. She didn't know whether her mother allowing her to go was a good sign or a bad sign. Surely she knew what was in store for her.

Plucking up her courage once more, Sarah lifted her leg again, but before she disappeared through the portal, she imparted one last farewell to Diane: "Good-bye, mom."

If everything worked as Sarah hoped, she wouldn't be seeing her again.

Once the portal had snapped shut behind Sarah, she found herself at a momentary loss of what to do. She hadn't quite planned beyond the portal, which she was still surprised had worked since so many of her other portals had not. Being back in the Lab also inspired a small amount of fear in her, even though she was past this part of her life and she knew what was to become of the Lab and Dr. Brenner.

The sound of voices coming from the end of the hallway snapped Sarah into action and she quickly pressed her back against the wall, her hands fumbling behind her for the first door knob they could find. When they finally latched onto one, she twisted it open and slipped inside, her eyes watching the hallway for the incoming threat. She shut the door just in time for two Lab personnel to round the corner.

"Good, they finally sent someone."

Sarah was jolted by the unexpected voice and spun on her heel to meet the source: a heavy-set woman with her graying hair tied up in a hair net and a smear of different colors across the front of her once white apron. Sarah had accidentally let herself into the kitchen.