𝙲𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝟷𝟶: 𝙶𝚒𝚛𝚕𝚜 𝙹𝚞𝚜𝚝 𝚆𝚊𝚗𝚗𝚊 𝙷𝚊𝚟𝚎 𝙵𝚞𝚗

A portal opened on the wall of Diane's cavernous office and Sarah, Amelia, and Daniel all silently stepped through one after the other

A portal opened on the wall of Diane's cavernous office and Sarah, Amelia, and Daniel all silently stepped through one after the other. Sarah didn't look at Diane or Adam as she passed them on her way to the door, intent on getting back to her room as quickly as possible with minimal interaction.

"Adam, would you please conduct the debriefing with Amelia and Daniel?" Diane asked Adam as her eyes followed Sarah out the door. Adam gave a curt nod and gestured for Amelia and Daniel to join him at Diane's desk.

"I don't want to talk," Sarah called out once she heard Diane's footsteps following her. Her voice bounced off the walls and echoed down the hallway.

"Then we don't need to talk," Diane called back, picking up her pace until she caught up with Sarah. "But I think you could use some company. I just want to make sure that you're okay."

"Do it. Come on, you know you want to..."

Sarah's lips twisted into a scowl as James' voice entered her head, urging her to use his abilities on her mother to force her to leave her alone. A small part of her wanted to give into the temptation, but she quickly squashed it. She'd never use those powers again. They were a curse bestowed upon her by an evil megalomaniac and she wouldn't give James the satisfaction of living through her.

Instead, Sarah remained silent until they reached her room. She allowed Diane to enter, but she didn't speak to her, instead electing to sit on the edge of the bed and silently stare out the window. Diane stood off to the side, watching her daughter carefully.

"How was the mission?" Diane asked once the quiet had persisted long enough.

"I said I didn't want to talk," Sarah snapped. "Besides, I'm sure you already know the answer to that question."

Diane slowly sat on the bed on the opposite side with her back facing Sarah. "I do," she answered quietly.

Sarah twisted in her spot to stare at her mother with furrowed brows and a look of disgust. "So it's true, then. You sent Hazel and Sam to their deaths."

Diane shifted her position so that her side profile was exposed to Sarah and she stared down at the corner of the bed. "My abilities allow me to see the future, but they don't give me the right to change it. I must act as if I didn't have them in the first place."