28

The screams got louder as we walked farther and farther into this mysterious place. I couldn't help but think Lila was leading me to my death. But something inside of me decided to follow her anyway. After walking straight down a dark hallway for a while, we turned left heading down a stairwell. I could see flashing lights and they got brighter the farther down we went.

I thought Lila said she didn't want to party.

Once we got to the bottom, the first thing I saw was a bunch of people— at least two hundred. They were all in a huge circle looking over something and cheering as if there was a sports game. Lila grabs my hand, pulling me towards the crowd of people. I look up at the LED lights surrounding this place as we push past multiple people, eventually hitting glass.

It's what's on the other side of the glass that shocks me however. There's a white Dodge Challenger speeding in laps. The car is going so fast that all you can really see is the trail of smoke it's leaving behind. Right behind it is a yellow Lamborghini, also moving quickly but not fast enough. The cars do two more laps as the crowd cheers, before finally stopping just pass a white painted line.

This isn't a party.

This isn't a club.

It's an underground drag race.

Once both engines stop, they both get out of the car. The guy in the Lamborghini gets out first, with his fists balled up in anger. He hands an unknown amount of money to a guy dressed in all black that I didn't notice standing inside of the rink. The other guy gets out of the Challenger with a grin on his face. He walks up to the guy in all black as well. The man grabs his arm and raises it up.

"Emmett remains undefeated!", the man in black shouts. "Who else has the guts to take him on in a race?"

"We do!", I hear Lila say from next to me and do a double take to see if I heard her correctly. "C'mon Claira, it'll be fun! If we win we get five grand!"

We?

"I can't even drive.", I say and she shakes her head at my words.

"I'll do that part! You'll basically just be emotional support! Let's do it! I want to have a good time!", she rambles.

As she spoke to me about this 'good time' she wanted to have, I could see something in her eyes. Something that I immediately recognized. Before everything happened, I was the same way. The old Claira wouldn't hesitate at the chance to drag race, whether money was involved or not. She certainly wouldn't let someone else do the driving, either.

But I'm not her anymore, she's not here.

"I trust you Lila.", I breathe looking at the makeshift track. "If you want to do this— then we can."

"Yes!", she exclaims.

"We can't tell Stiles and Elijah though, they'd kill me.", I warn her.

"Don't worry about me snitching. They'd kill me too.", she laughs.

The man in black waves us over and we walk through glass doors onto the track. He makes his way over to meet us and explains all of the essential rules. I make sure to keep note of them, even though Lila will be the one driving. Once everything is explained to us, we're given helmets, mine is silver and Lila's is white. When we finish strapping them on, we head into the yellow Lamborghini. Once we get strapped in securely, the white Challenger that Emmett is in begins revving the engine. Lila follows pace and begins revving the engine of the Lamborghini.

Three shots fire into the air from a flare gun and we immediately speed off the second Lila pushes her foot down onto the gas pedal. The cars revving engine vibrates throughout my body. Bouncing up and down, I turn to see Lila mouthing something to me that I can't make out because the vehicle is so loud. I didn't need to hear her to see the expression on her face, though. She had a huge grin that she just couldn't get rid of, even if she tried. There was a twinkle of power in her eyes behind her sunglasses and she didn't look like she planned on stopping the car anytime soon.

Her blonde hair kept stable under the helmet, flew back at the tips more and more the faster we drove. Her hands gripped the steering wheel like if she let go the world would come crashing down. Turning my eyes back toward the amateur track in front of us, I watch as she laps around it over and over again. Snapping back to reality, I realize that we're in a race. We need to beat that Emmett guy if we want to win.

"Go sharper on your turns!", I yell over the engine watching the white Challenger in front of us.

"What?", she yells barely audible.

She's not going to be able to hear me over this engine.

Something inside of me has always hated losing, and I'm not about to start now.

Like an impulse, I lean over and grip the steering wheel with both of my hands, taking control. She keeps her foot on the pedal as I steer us, making sure to keep the turns sharp. On the third lap, after multiple attempts, we finally pass the Challenger. With a few feet between us and the white painted line we have to pass to get five thousand dollars, Emmett catches up to us. The two cars are in equal distance from the finish line, it's anyone's race.

I close my eyes as I feel the car come to a stop. The engines calm and I can only hear the sound of the crowd cheering. Lila taps me and I realize I still have my hands gripped on the steering wheel. I slowly let go, opening my eyes. I sit back in my seat and look at her with her eyes widened. The challenger is next to us, Emmett now out of the car. We step out of the Lamborghini as the crowds cheers get louder and make eye contact with him, he looks mad.

We did it! We won!

"Congratulations girls!", the man in black praises us as he hands us an envelope full of money.

Taking our helmets off, I push my hair out of my face as I think about how we really just did that. Two thousand five hundred dollars to my name just for winning a race. Is this illegal? It feels illegal. Either way, I am almost three thousand dollars richer. We take the money and get off of the track as quickly as possible. As we're running towards the glass, Emmett pushes past us.

"Beginners luck.", he mumbles loud enough for us to hear.

What a sore loser.

"I can't believe we actually won!", I smile widely as we walk up stairs to leave the building.

The drastic difference between the indoor cheers to the now quiet outside reminds me of just how loud it was in there.

"I know!", she grins as we both get into her convertible. "We have to go get drinks to celebrate!"

"But we aren't allowed into bars for like three more years.", I furrow my brows.

"I know a place.", she chuckles as she pulls off.

Today at the track when I grabbed the steering wheel, nostalgia of the person I used to be melted over me. It was like I was living in the past once again. Like once again I was the girl who would sneak out late and not get back home until an hour before school. My parents always thought when I went out late that I was going to parties, or bars, or night clubs. But I never really liked being around other people. The truth is, when I snuck out I'd just go sit on the beach alone, staring at the waves as they'd crash. I loved how the moon affected the tides, I'd get so lost in my own world that I'd always lose track of time.

Weird how they sent me here to fix my behavior, and somehow made it slightly worse.

A/N: Hello! I know this chapter took forever I'm sorry!!! I have half of the next chapter written because this chapter was going to be longer but I wanted to finish this weekend. I've never really wrote an action scene like this before so hopefully it isn't too bad. I hope you're all having a great weekend and expect a bit of time spent with the guys next chapter ;)