~20~

Breathing softly from my mouth, I opened my eyes to see my dad staring down at me with a concerned face. My whole body was burning up, but I managed to wake myself up from this high fever. "...dad?" My voice croaked. His gentle eyes made me feel so safe.

His big hand brushed my sticky hair away from my face. His callus hand added more warmth on my burning forehead. "Kana," he cooed with sad eyes. "I'll nurse you until you're well. I don't like seeing my daughter sick to her knees. It hurts my heart."

"Thanks dad..." I smiled, immediately letting sleep take over again. I needed a lot of rest before my body could fight back any diseases inside of me. Once I'm all better, I will be able to go talk to my dad and go home.

////

Unbeknownst to Kana, as soon as she closed her eyes, Geto had a hideous expression. He glared at his daughter in disgust, waiting for her to wake up so he could see if she'll switch sides for him—her dad. He had enough trying to be sweet and kind towards her. She had the power he needed to take over this world. An ability to give instant death to any of her targets or make them lose their minds due to her illusions.

Kana had no part of Geto's genes whatsoever; she's basically a copy and paste of her own mother who had the exact ability as her. Good thing he had a backup plan if Kana were to refuse to cooperate with him. "Wife, come here." Geto motioned with his pointer finger as his wife, Kana's deceased mother, came walking into the motel room where they resided.

Her body was already rotted as she had bones showing on her arms, fingers, and face. She barely had hair on her head while her eyes were dull and skin was grey. She was basically a walking corpse with a curse spirit possessing it. Geto had dug Kana's mom out of her grave so his plan could come into place.

Geto smiled eerily at his wife, extending his hand out to caress her cold yet patchy face. It's as if he was touching an ice cube during the dead of winter. There's no life in her—only a corpse being abused by Geto's doing.

"My sweet dead wife, what will we do if our daughter won't join our side?" Although he's caressing her face, he felt revolted due to the fact it's a rotting person in front of him. She wasn't beautiful as he remembered her to be; she was an ugly rag doll who was a puppet in his hands. It's a great thing she's mindless after being taken over by a curse because it would've been a hassle for Geto to control her. "It would be ashamed if she joined you too soon, dead wife. She still has a few years to live before dying off like you."

Kana's mom didn't have a voice to speak coherent words as she grunted in response.

"Won't she be delighted to see you,"

////

Two days passed and I finally woke up to myself being partially charged.

My dad was feeding me porridge since I still felt the fatigue occupying my body. It's like my hands could hold things but it would be shaky and weak. My grip wouldn't be tight, it would be loose like a nail. So my dad helped me instead.

Chewing the liquidy and chunky content in my mouth, my dad asked me a question. "What would you do if your mother was alive? As in there's no curse swimming in your body."

His hypothetical question had me thinking deeply about it. "Hmmm," I took a small break from eating. "I guess what mothers and daughters do? Bond and enjoy each other's presence." It would basically be the same as me and my aunt. There's no difference in how things would be played out if my mom was alive.

I couldn't read my dad's expression as it looked like he wore a mask to cover what he's truly feeling. "Mhm. Would you have followed me last year? The incident I caused."