~48~

The Sweet Hereafter

* * *

        "You owe me a milkshake now since I bought you one." Lia told Archie stubbornly who nodded with a chuckle. 

        "Hey, guys. Um...This is Ms. Weiss from Social Services. She's, uh... She's Jughead's case worker." Fred announced to the kids as they made their way into the kitchen to see Fred and some woman.

        "Jughead, I know how terrible and emotional the last few days have been for you. Your father's facing serious jail time. Your mom's over-extended and out of state. We just want to make sure that you're taken care of." Ms. Weiss said and Lia nodded along with her words, knowing that Jughead would be taken care of as long as he stayed with them.  

        "Well, he can keep staying with us, right, Dad?" Archie asked. 

        "I offered already, Arch." Fred answered.

        "Great, so what's the problem?" Archie countered, making Fred sigh. 

        "It was a DUI." Fred began, shocking his kids. "After your mom left. Look, we can talk about this later but between that and my cash flow problem, it knocks me out." 

        "There is a family on the Southside that's offered to foster you. They're good people, they've worked with us before." Ms. Weiss offered and Lia couldn't help but feel a bit sad at the fact that Jughead wouldn't be able to live with them. 

        "That doesn't sound completely horrible." Jughead stated. 

        "It does mean you'll be in a different school district, Jughead, and you'll have to transfer schools." Ms. Weiss added on, not pleasing Archie or Lia at all. 

        "What the hell? A new school?" Lia demanded.

        "When is all this supposed to happen?" Archie questioned. 

        "The paperwork's been processed. Unless there is a radical change in your father's case, you'll be on the Southside by the end of the week." 

* * *

        Later on that day, Jughead and Lia sat at Pop's. It was their second time that day but both could really care less. Jughead was working on his novel while Lia painted. Lia smiled happily, they hadn't done something like this in months and Lia was more than happy to start it back up again. 

        "So, how do you feel about me transferring?" Jughead piped up. Lia's gaze moved to him, she didn't lift her head but just looked at him. "You seemed pretty upset when Ms. Weiss told us." 

        "I'm happy if you're happy Jug. As long as you're safe, then I don't really care." Lia answered with a shrug, going back to the painting she was doing for Pop of his diner. She heard Jughead let out a soft sigh and mumble something before he spoke once again. 

        "Are you sure? Do you think that Betty and I will be able to make it work?" He asked. Lia sighed deeply, setting her paintbrush into her cup of water and folded her hands on the table, looking at Jughead with a pointed stare. 

        "Juggle. Trust me when I say you and Betty will be able to make it work. You're just moving to the other side of town not Nebraska, okay? Besides, you'll be up here all the time when you're not in school so either way you can't escape us." Lia said. Jughead chuckled at her words with a soft nod, letting her go back to her painting which she did, grabbing some cheesy fries as she did.