~25~

FASTER, PUSSYCATS! KILL! KILL!

* * *

        "So, Myles, you being a professional jazz man, you must be livin' your dream, right?" Fred asked Josie's dad. Lia sat at dinner table at the Lodge's house, being Fred's daughter she was forced to be there since that was her dinner. But, she wasn't the only kid there, Archie, Josie, and Veronica were all there as well, their parents sitting around them. 

        "Well, yes and no." Mr. McCoy replied to Lia's dad. "The real struggle is always art versus commerce. You know, I've never really been about the big paycheck. But if we're talking about the future and long-term security, it can't always be about following your bliss."

        "Personally, I'm just excited to see my daughter perform with the Pussycats at the Variety Show." Mrs. Lodge piped up, surprisingly Lia as she looked over at Veronica who nodded.

        "I beg your pardon? When were you gonna tell me about this?" Mr. McCoy asked Josie and Lia could feel the tension in the air begin to thicken. 

        "It just happened, Dad, and she's... She's really, really good. And Val quit. Or should I say we were Yoko Ono'd?" Josie explained sadly. 

        "Really? That's unfortunate. She was the real deal. Gave your act some much-needed integrity." Mr. McCoy replied. Lia looked at her Dad, grateful that he didn't hold her to any standards like Mr. McCoy did with Josie.

        "Well, I figure as long as the kids are havin' fun, that's the point, right?" Fred asked. 

        "Except it's more than just about being fun for us." Mr. McCoy said before eyeing his daughter. "Isn't it, Josephine?"

        "Josephine? I didn't know that was your real name." Archie said to Josie. 

        "After Josephine Baker." Mr. McCoy confirmed before his stern glare rested on Archie. "You have no idea who that is, do you?"

        "Fred? You wanna get started on that presentation?" Mrs. Lodge asked and Lia could tell she did it to make sure Mr. McCoy didn't walk out of the dinner party.

* * *

        "And with the labor force coming from Riverdale, Andrews Construction would be stimulating the local economy. It's a win for the entire town. That's it in a nutshell." Fred finished and Lia smiled at her Dad to give him a bit of a confidence boost since he seemed a bit worried. 

        "Well...After all that salt-of-the-earth talk, I didn't expect you to be another dollar-chasing gentrifier." Mr. McCoy said, making Lia glare at him but he didn't seem to notice and if he did he didn't acknowledge it. 

        "Myles, Fred Andrews is a working man who lives in the real world. I think Fred's bid was refreshing." Mayor McCoy said and Lia smiled at her, wondering if she was going to award the contract to her father. "In fact, I'd like to award him the contract. I'd like to, Fred, but the buyer's already in the process of accepting another bid. It would take two shareholder signatures to stop the process."

* * *

        Lia sat in her bedroom, music playing out of her ipod as she messed with her hair. She was trying to straighten it but her hair had never been straight in her entire life and she didn't think it would ever be. So, she opted for curling it, throwing it up into a messy bun with curls framing her face. She looked at herself in the mirror, smiling at her outfit. She had decided on a green sundress with a white flower pattern, white heeled boots, and she even painted her nails white to match. Lia finished off her look with some natural makeup and jewelry before she walked out of her bedroom, the voices of her father and brother filling her ears and making her stop. 

        "Dad, if I tank at the Variety Show, would you...Would I be mad?" Archie asked.

        "Son, whatever happens with that show, or any show, whether you go up there and kill it or you bomb like electric Dylan at a folk concert-

        "I'm not sure who that is."

        "I would still love you, okay? Support you. I'd be proud of the fact that you were brave enough to go after somethin' that you care about." Fred finished. Lia smiled, sneaking past the two before heading downstairs and waiting for them to come down. 

* * *

        "Hello, Riverdale High, and welcome to the 75th annual Variety Show!" Kevin announced into the microphone. Lia cheered and clapped along with everyone else, happy to be there to support her brother and friends. 

        After a few moments the Pussycats came out, beginning to play their version of "I Feel Love" by Donna Summer. Lia nodded her head along with the beat, smiling at her Dad who had rested his arm across her shoulders. Lia noticed Mr. McCoy walk out and her eyes went to Joise, seeing tears threatening to break through but she turned and finished the song, not showing anyone her sadness.  

        The audience cheered and applauded for the Pusscats and soon they left and were replaced by Kevin.

        "That was Josie and the Pussycats! Long tails and ears for hats." He said. " Now, here's Archie Andrews!"

        Lia cheered louder than the rest, practically jumping out of her seat as Archie walked out, taking a seat on a stool. Lia watched as he froze for a moment, looking around the crowd. Reggie shouted something from across the room but Lia didn't care enough to listen as Archie had finally begun to sing his song, "I'll Try".

        Once Archie had finished his song, Lia jumped up clapping loudly for Archie. She saw him laugh at her but then people followed her lead and stood, cheering loudly for him. Lia smiled at her brother, the two making eye contact and she winked, the small movement making Archie's fears wither away. 

* * *

Here's the thing about fear. It's always there. Fear of the unknown, fear of facing it alone...Fear that those closest to you are the monsters. Fear that as soon as you slay one, there's another monster waiting to take its place. Fear that there's one more boogeyman waiting at the end of the dark hall. She was out there. Alone, bereft, unmoored...Where was she going? And what would she do next?