~03~

The River's Edge

* * *

        It was now lunch time, Lia sat with Betty, Kevin, and Archie, listening to one of Archie's songs that he was working on. Lia smiled as she listened to Archie's song, she heard heard it many times before but she loved listening to it again. Her chest swelled with pride for her brother, knowing that he had found something that he truly enjoyed doing. 

        A figure appeared behind Lia and she turned to see Veronica standing there with a lunch tray in her hand. 

        "Can I join?" She asked and everyone nodded, allowing her to sit which she obviously did on the other side of Archie since Lia was on his left side. "What are we doing?"

        "Listening to one of Archie's songs." Betty said as she smiled at Archie. 

        "I thought we were going to have to pretend to like it, but it's actually really good." Kevin stated as it finished and Archie shut his laptop. 

        "Wait, that was you singing? Something you wrote?" Veronica asked, obviously surprised.

        "It's rough." Archie replied. 

        "No, it's great." Lia reassured him, squeezing his shoulder. 

        "It's incredible actually, the little snippet I heard. Is that your thing? Music? Are you doing something with that?" Veronica questioned. 

        "Yeah, that's the plan." Archie answered before he changed the subject. "So how's your first day going? Good?"

        "Well, not to be a complete narcissist, but I thought people would be more-

        "Obsessed with you?" Kevin cut Veronica off and she nodded. "Any other year, you'd be trending Number One, for sure. This year, though, it's all about Cheryl trying to win the Best Supporting Psycho Oscar for her role as Riverdale's bereaved Red Widow."

        "Hey, I should go. I've got that meeting with Grundy and then football try-outs, so..." Archie trailed off as he quickly packed up his things. 

        "You play football, too? What don't you do?" Veronica asked as Archie left. Lia looked up at Betty who was watching him go sadly and she reached over and placed her hand on top of hers, rubbing it. 

        "Before you ask, Blue Jasmine, no, she has not invited him to the dance yet." Kevin told Veronica just as Cheryl Blossom started making her way over. 

        "No, not yet, don't talk about Archie." Betty replied, whispering the part about Archie just as Cheryl arrived. 

        "Veronica Lodge, I'd heard whisperings. I'm Cheryl Blossom, may I sit? Betty, would you mind?" Cheryl asked and Betty slid over so Cheryl could sit right in front of Veronica. "So, what are you four hens gossiping about? Archie's Efron-esque emergence from the chrysalis of puberty?"

        "Gross, don't talk about how hot my brother is in front of me." Lia said, mentally gagging again. Now, she didn't think Archie was ugly, he was handsome, there was no doubt about it but the idea of girls trying to undress him with their eyes made her want to barf. 

        "Extracurriculars. Weatherbee wants me to sign up for a few." Veronica answered Cheryl's question while everyone ignored Lia. 

        "Cheerleading. You must. I am senior captain of the River Vixens!" Cheryl stated as she flipped her hair over her shoulder and gave Veronica a dazzling smile. 

        "Is cheerleading still a thing?" Kevin asked. 

        "Is being the gay best friend still a thing?" Cheryl snapped back and Kevin shut up, not wanting to start a scene. "Some people say it's retro, I say it's eternal and iconic."

        "At Spence, I sat at the top of the Elites' pyramid, I'm in." Veronica said before turning to Betty and Lia. "You two, you're trying out, too."

        "Yeah, I don't think so. Betty can, 100%, but cheerleading is not my thing" Lia quickly denied. 

        "Anyone's welcome to try-out, but Betty's already got so much on her plate right now, and being a Vixen is kind of a full-time thing. But, open to all." Cheryl announced with a weary look at Betty before standing and facing Veronica again. Follow me on Twitter and I'll do the same -- my handle's @cherrybombshell."

        Cheryl walked away, strutting like the bitch she was to go terrorize God-knows-who next and Lia shook her head with a exasperated sigh, stealing one of Kevin's grapes. 

        "Go ahead and hate on cheerleading, but if Hipster Prince Harry is playing-

        "I'd love to be a cheerleader. It would round-out my college applications, but last year when I tried out, Cheryl said I was too fat." Betty cut Veronica off. 

        "'Too "Season Five Betty Draper."'" Kevin quoted. "It was a great line. But, not at all true."

        "Cheryl is a mythic bitch, in case you haven't noticed." Lia added on to Veronica. 

        "You're a total smoke show now, Betty, I mean it. As hot and as smart as you are, you should be the Queen Bey of this drab hive. Look, if you want to be a River Vixen, I'll help you prep, I have moves." Veronica offered and everyone looked at Betty, waiting for her answer. 

        "Hey, you know what? Show me your moves." She responded, making everyone smile.