~44~

Anatomy of a Murder

* * *

        "Yes, I... I appreciate it." Fred's voice said as Lia made her way into the kitchen. "That was Weatherbee. He's concerned for Jug's personal safety. After what happened with Cheryl, he's worried about the other students' reaction to it. Thinks Jughead should finish the semester from home." 

        Jughead's getting kicked out because Cheryl pummeled him. How is that fair?" Lia asked him, grabbing a drink out of the fridge and shutting the door with a bit of force since she was annoyed. 

        "It's not." Fred replied.

        "Well, can we call, I don't know, the school board?" Lia asked. 

        "Oph, FP may spend decades in prison, potentially the rest of his life. We gotta think of a long-term solution." Fred sighed. 

        "We are the long-term solution." Archie's voice stated as he to made his way into the kitchen. 

        "That's not how it works, okay? I'm not his legal guardian." Fred argued. 

        "Oh, good thing mom's a lawyer." 

        "Archie, my priority is keeping you and your sister safe."

        "Keep us safe from who? Jughead? Are you kidding me, Dad?" Lia scoffed. 

        "No, from whatever trouble seems to follow the Jones' around, wherever they go, whatever they do." Fred snapped. Lia rolled her eyes with another scoff, leaning against the counter behind her and swirling her drink around in her bottle. "Hell, maybe you two should go to Chicago and live with your mom." 

        "Excuse me, what? When was this discussed?" Lia questioned, looking at Archie. "I heard nothing about this."

        "I was going to talk to you but it's not even something I was considering, Dad. But you know what? Maybe we should." Archie replied, the last bit directed towards his father. 

        "Hey, if it'll keep you out of trouble, I'm all for it." Fred responded and Lia heard a different set of footsteps, making her turn and see Jughead. 

        "Hey, Jug." Lia greeted quickly, sending a pointed look to her father and brother so they would stop arguing before jogging up to Jughead. 

        "I'm gonna sleep in the garage tonight. Okay?" Jughead whispered and Lia shook her head. 

        "What? No, Jug. Jug, wait." Lia said but Jughead had already made his way out the front door, going God knows where. Lia sighed, looking back at her father who raised his eyebrows at her, as if he was daring her to say something. She didn't. 

* * *

        Later on that night, Lia snuck down from her room with blankets and pillows in her hands. She went through the garage door and made sure to shut it quietly so that her father or brother wouldn't wake up. She turned around to see Jughead sleeping soundlessly on the couch in there and she smiled, going over to him.

        She gently placed the pillow's and blankets onto the ground and knelt down beside Jughead. Her hand went to his hair, brushing it backwards softly and seeing him shiver slightly under her cold touch. He twitched in his sleep, his nose scrunching up slightly before going back to normal again and Lia smiled with a soft chuckle. She turned and grabbed an extra blanket and laying it on Jughead, the bright pink fabric popping out on Jughead's pale frame.