~09~

A Touch of Evil

* * *

        "I can't even wrap my head around what is happening right now." Lia sighed, running her hand through her wavy red hair that she decided to leave down. Jughead just watched her, she looked torn between wanting to protect her brother and wanting to make sure he did the right thing. But, he couldn't help but wonder why she was so stressed. She always seemed to be worried about what her brother might be doing, either bad or good and Jughead grew angry at Archie for making her stress out over him. 

        "Me either, we have to talk to Archie though." Jughead responded. This time, Lia stared at him. He surprisingly kept the flower she had gave him behind his ear, one of the petals getting pulled back from his hair but she smiled nevertheless. It was moments like these she loved between her and Jughead. Just the two of them, sitting in their booth at Pop's enjoying their cheesy fries and shakes. But, now Riverdale was full of surprises and there wasn't much time to do things like that. 

        Lia was about to agree with Jughead when her phone went off, signally that she got a text message. She pulled out her phone and stretched her arms so that Jughead could see the screen too. 

        "Having Pop's for dinner. Archie's going to pick it up now. Make your way home, please" It read. The message was from her dad and she looked up at Archie with a sigh. 

        "We better get going now so we can beat Archie home." She said and Jughead nodded. They picked up their mess, Lia making sure to leave some money on the table to pay for the meal and Jughead smiled gratefully before the two left the restaurant. "So, how are we going to do this?"

        "Do what?" Jughead asked. They were now walking down the sidewalk, Lia had her hands in her jacket pockets and was messing with the chapstick that was inside. 

        "Interrogate Archie. I mean, he's sleeping with out music teacher Jug. What if, what if she's using him. What if she's the one who killed Jason and what if Archie's next? What if-

        "Hey." Jughead cut off her spiraling, turning to her and placing his hands on her face. Lia sighed, leaning into his touch and not taking her eyes off of his brown ones. Jughead just held her for a moment, rubbing his thumbs on her face before kissing her forehead, pulling her into a hug. "It'll be okay, we'll help him. Nothing bad will happen to Archie." 

        Lia nodded, not knowing what to say as she just wrapped her hands around Jughead's waist. The two stood in the middle of the sidewalk, the setting sun making their shadows seem darker and the wind blow colder. Lia shivered as she pulled away from Jughead, looping her arm with his and soon the two were walking back to the Andrews' Household. 

        Jughead and Lia sat on the porch steps. Lia's leg was shaking like crazy and Jughead just put his hand on her knee with a soft smile as Archie stopped in his tacks, seeing the two. 

        "Jug. Ophie. What's up?" He asked. 

        "What's up is we saw you, Archie. In the music room. With Ms. Grundy." Jughead replied, standing up and taking Lia with him as they made their way towards Archie. 

        "Keep your voice down, my dad's inside." Archie whisper-shouted to Jughead. 

        "We're just trying to help you, Arch." Lia said. 

        "Yeah, I'm just trying to be your friend here. Even though we're not anymore." Jughead added on before looking Archie dead in the eyes. "How long? You and Grundy?"

        "Since the summer." Archie answered and Lia's thoughts of him being with Ms. Grundy on July 4th were practically confirmed. "I like her."

        "So I'm guessing she's the reason you've been acting weird since summer?" Jughead asked, scoffing at Archie's 'I like her'.     

        "One of them." Archie replied. 

        ""One of them." There's more?" Lia gasped. 

        "We were at Sweetwater River on July 4th. We heard a gunshot. The gunshot." Archie said and panic slowly seemed into Lia's veins. 

        "Dude, you have to tell somebody." Jughead said. 

        "I can't Neither can you. Either of you. If people find out about Grundy-

        "A kid is dead, Archie!" Lia exclaimed, glaring at her brother. Archie turned to her, looking shocked at her outburst and a little upset because she was so angry. "I cannot believe you, Jason Blossom is dead and you're worried about some...some cougar?"

        "Don't call her that. Okay, she's not like that, she cares about me." Archie sneered back. 

        "Stab in the dark." Jughead butted in, standing between the two siblings who glared at each other. I'm guessing she cares more about herself. She's the one who's telling you not to say anything, right? Look, I saw you guys. She's messing with you, man. And she's messing with your mind- 

        "What the hell do you know about it, Jughead? Or about me, even?" Archie demanded, shocking Lia a bit. Archie would never snap at Jughead like that, but now Archie was a changed man. She didn't know what to think anymore.

        "Nothing. But I used to know this guy once. Archie Andrews. He wasn't perfect but...He always tried to do the right thing, at least." Jughead said and began to walk away but Archie grabbed onto his arm, stopping him from moving. 

        "Jug. If you tell anyone about this..." Archie trailed off, leaving an open threat hanging in the air.  

        "What? What are you gonna do?" Jughead questioned. 

        "Archie." Lia stated in a warning voice, daring him to say something. The teens glared at each other, Jughead and Lia at Archie while Archie glared at Jughead. Just then, the front door opened and Lia turned to see her dad walk out. 

        "Hey, Jug. Coming in? We got take-out from Pop's." Fred offered and Lia put her hand on Archie's arm, squeezing it in a warning to let Jughead go. 

        "He was just leaving." Archie called to his dad, his eyes not leaving Jughead before Jughead pulled his arm away. He sent Lia a 'see you later' look before walking off. Archie turned to Lia as their dad went back inside. "Ophelia..."

        "Don't even, Archie." Lia snapped, going inside the house and leaving Archie outside alone.