~31~

The Outsiders

* * *

        "Polly's convinced herself that no one wants her baby. Besides, of course, the child-snatching Blossom monsters." Betty told the group before looking over at Cheryl apologetically. "No offense, Cheryl."

        "None taken."

        "So your mom and dad want Polly but not the baby, and the Blossoms want the baby and not Polly. That's a true Gordian knot." Jughead stated. 

        "It's an impossible situation." Betty sighed angrily. 

        "Betty, come on. An impossible situation is being invited to both the Vanity Flair Oscar party and Elton John's Oscar party on the same night. Which happened to me one year, I know." Veronica said, aiming the last part to an awe struck Kevin. "This is merely an annoying situation. But luckily, I've been percolating on an idea, hellishly simple in its conception. What if my mom and I were to host a baby shower?"

        "Count me in." Lia agreed immediately, surprising everyone. "What? You want Polly to feel loved and supported, right?"

        "Yeah, but ideally by her own parents." Betty answered. 

        "Okay, so, baby steps, girl. Get Polly and your parents in the same room in a public setting where they can't fight, and, voila, let the healing begin." Veronica said with a smile. 

        "Am I expected to come to this thing?" Jughead asked. 

        "Of course! You're Betty's boyfriend, so..." Veronica replied, sipping on her drink while everyone stiffened at her words. Lia quickly shook it off, running her hands through her hair to distract her while the others froze. "Oh, my God, you guys, relax. It's just a word that starts with the letter "B." Betty, what do you say?"

        "Elizabeth Cooper." The stern voice of Mrs. Cooper said and everyone turned to see her walk into the student lounge. 

        "Mom?" Betty gasped. 

        "I need you and you and you." Mrs. Cooper ordered, pointing to Betty to Veronica and then finally to Lia. 

        "Me?" Lia asked, pointing to herself. 

        "Yes, you. Right now." Mrs. Cooper snapped and Lia quickly stood up with the other two girls before following them out. Everyone was quiet and the tension was thick as Mrs. Cooper led the three teens into an empty classroom, making them sit down. "Sheriff Keller told us everything. How you're hiding Polly at the Pembrooke?"

        "Better than in an insane asylum." Lia muttered, earning herself a glare from Mrs. Cooper. 

        "Actually, Mrs. Cooper, that's on me. I was the one who suggested that Polly stay with us." Veronica piped up. 

        "She's trying to help. Unlike you and Dad, who want Polly to give the baby up for adoption." Betty told her mother. 

        "Betty, it's what's best for Polly and the baby." Mrs. Cooper sighed. 

        "Mom, that's not your choice. Your choice is whether or not you want to be a part of Polly's life." Betty countered. "Veronica and her mom have offered to host a baby shower."

        "Well, that is hardly appropriate!" 

        "Really? Because I think it's an amazing idea. You want to be loving and supportive like a normal grandmother? Then, great. Otherwise, stay away." Betty said before standing up and forcing the other two to stand before leading them out of the classroom and away from her mother.