~36~

La Grande Illusion

* * *

        Lia spun around in her bedroom for about the hundredth time that night. She couldn't believe that Cheryl had lent her one of her dresses and it was gorgeous. It was a dark red color and went down past her feet but it only trailed the ground a little bit when she wore her heels. It had long sleeves that went down to her elbow and had a deep v-neck which made Lia feel a little bit uncomfortable with so many of her chest showing but she sucked it up. 

        Cheryl had practically ordered Lia to wear red to match in with her family so she had red lipstick, red heels, and even a choker necklace clung tightly to her neck. Lia barely recognized herself when she stared in the mirror, sure, she had worn extravagant makeup before but with Cheryl's revealing dress which she had now realized had a slit down the side and showed her leg. 

        Lia jumped when there was a knock at her door, it slowly opening to reveal Jughead who covered his eyes just in case Lia was indecent.

        "You're good, Juggy." Lia giggled and Jughead sighed, dropping his hand from his face and nearly choking on his own breath at Lia. 

        "You look..." Jughead trailed off, speechless and leaving Lia to laugh. 

        "Wow...the writer has no words? I must be doing a good job." Lia said sarcastically with a taunting smirk before she looked down at herself and back up to Jughead again. "I feel like a Blossom. It's weird."

        "Well, you're not a Blossom and never will be. You're Ophelia Andrews." Jughead responded, grabbing hold of Lia's hands that hung by her side and holding them. 

        Lia chuckled, watching Jughead's hands hold her own before she looked up at him through her fake eyelashes. The two just stared at each other, not saying a word. Lia felt like they had been doing that a lot lately and she desperately wanted to know why. She wanted to know why she felt so horrible when she got the tinge of jealously whenever her eyes landed on him and Betty. 

        Her thoughts were all interrupted however when Jughead pushed a stray piece of hair behind her ear before he flicked it. 

        "Hey!" Lia exclaimed as she held her ear to make sure he didn't make her earring fall out while he just laughed. 

        "You were staring." Jughead shrugged, making Lia roll her eyes before she stepped back from him, going over to her desk and putting on her rings. "Wait a second." 

        Lia stopped what she was doing and let Jughead move beside her and pick up one of her rings and examine it.

        "Is this the ring pop ring I gave you back when we were kids?" Jughead finally asked, showing the green plastic ring with a small nub on it which used to hold a watermelon ring pop. 

        "Well of course! We're legally married with this." Lia responded as if it was the simplest thing in the world. She snatched the ring back from him and slid it onto her left ring finger which was supposed to hold an engagement or wedding ring. Jughead stared at her with a smile as she finished putting the rest of her rings on before throwing on some bracelets. "Don't look at me like that. You're the one who made me promise never to take it off." 

        "I thought you would forget about that! It's been like eight years!" Jughead exclaimed and Lia laughed, looking at the ring that had stayed on her finger ever since the two were seven years old. There was a dent in her finger from it since her fingers grew chubbier over the years but it somehow still fit.