~04~

The River's Edge

* * *

        Lia walked into Pop's, looking over at the usual booth where Jughead Jones sat and and low and behold, there he was, typing away at his computer not even looking up at the sound of Pop's bell. Lia smirked before making her way over and sliding in front of him, putting the flyer for the school dance in front of his computer scene. 

        "No." Was all he said before all hell broke loose. 

        "Why?!" Lia whined, the boy looking up at the ginger girl with a blank face. "Come on, Juggle, it's just a dance. Besides, you've never  been to one and you are a sophemore! Please, will you go?"

        "No." Jughead repeated, moving the flyer to the middle of the table so he could continue typing. 

        "Pretty please?" 

        "No."

        "Pretty pretty please?"

        "Again, no."

        "Pretty please with a cheery on top?"

        "We could do this all night and the answer would still be no." Jughead said, making Lia pout. She crossed her arms over her chest and leaned back in the booth, looking at Jughead with anger and sadness to see if she could guilt trip him. "Guilt tripping with the puppy-dog face doesn't work anymore." 

        "Fuck." She whispered under her breath, breaking character and setting her face in the palm of her hand as her arm rested on the table. The two sat in silence, Lia trying to plot her next method of attack to get Jughead to say yes while he just continued to type on his computer. 

        "You're staring." Jughead stated, not even looking up from his computer. 

        "Good, maybe it'll make you crack." Lia spat back, not taking her eyes off of Jughead. He sighed, shutting his computer and laying her arms onto the table, looking at his best friend since childhood. 

        "Listen, I don't mean to upset you or anything but like i've told you since seventh grade: I don't do dances." Jughead told her. 

        "And like I've told you since seventh grade: pretty please." Lia countered, making Jughead breathe out a laugh and look down at the table before looking back up at Lia. Her green eyes were full of hope and Jughead couldn't help but get lost in them for a moment before he snapped back to reality. 

        "I'll tell you what." Jughead said and Lia knew that they were going to compromise somehow. "You go to the dance, have a fun time and once it's done, you meet me here, at Pop's, and we'll have milkshakes and cheesy fries with extra bacon while you tell me all about it." 

        "We do that every time though!" Lia argued. 

        "Exactly, and it's fun." Jughead replied. Lia huffed, looking around for a moment before looking back to Jughead. 

        "Fine. You win." She folded and Jughead smirked in victory. 

        "I always do." He replied, opening his computer again and going right back into writing. Lia shook her head with a smile as she went into her backpack and pulled out some art supplies. Painting was something she liked to do with Jughead. He'd pick what she'd paint and what colors she would use and she'd do it while he typed away at his computer, the two sitting in comfortable silence.