Chapter 10 - Falconer

BRI DROPPED BACK ONTO the ground with a thud. She managed to keep her balance, although the mossy floor of the forest would have cushioned her fall. Above her head, the last tendrils of magic dissipated into the air. She knew about healing magic - it tended to be the most volatile of all the different strands, known for how easily it went wrong. Even in Tenebris where magic was outlawed, everyone knew about the different strands and the colours they went with. 

Green was healing, used in explosive and often dangerous experiments. But she had heard about many great witches who used healing magic successfully. Healing people used a huge amount of strength, which was why she had been floating, probably surrounded by a cloud of magic. 

Blue, especially dark blue was a defensive magic. Used primarily for strategy, favoured by those who were intelligent and dependable.

Red was offensive. Bri hadn't come across a single warlock who used red magic. You could harness fire with red magic.

Gold was nothing Bri had ever seen before. She knew you didn't choose the strand of magic that you had, it chose you. But gold... Gold magic was different. 

There were other colours of course, but Bri was distracted.

The fading green sparks vanished as she watched.

Green.

"Who are you." she said, dropping her gaze to the figure standing in front of her.

The boy was wearing a thick cloak. He pulled back the hood to reveal shaggy blond hair that fell over his face, and piercing green eyes. He was wearing a dark green doublet, which was torn and fraying. On his left hand, he was wearing a thick leather glove. He grinned sheepishly and waved.

Bri did a double take.

"Tristan?" she asked incredulously.

"Hey Brianna." he said, pulling the glove off. It was only if you looked closely, that you could see the green sparkling seams running through it.

"What on earth are you doing here?"

"Got promoted didn't I. Now I'm her majesties' falconer."

Bri instinctively drew back.

He held up his hands. "Don't worry. I'm on your side. It's just, jobs are jobs, you know? My Ma said I wasn't to quit anyway."

In the distance, Bri heard the distinctive screech of a falcon. Tristan smiled fondly.

"When did all of ... this happen?" she wondered, raising her eyebrows.

"It just happened." said Tristan helplessly. "I started using it on the birds at first. Just when they were sick, and then it started working really well. Obviously no one knows."

"Obviously." said Bri.

"It's a gift isn't it. I mean, the queen uses magic doesn't she, so maybe it's alright now." He shrugged.

"I never pictured you a witch."

Tristan laughed.

"I should probably say thank you." said Bri.

"Don't mention it." Tristan waved his hands in front of himself. "What on earth happened? If I hadn't got here, you'd have bled out easily. Nut was dying for exercise, and there are loads of rabbits in these woods." he added, as way of explanation.

"I'm technically a fugitive."

"Only technically?"

Bri shot him a look.