Chapter 2 - Suspicion

*Author's Note*

Hi.

Thank you to everyone who has viewed/voted so far. It means a lot...XD. Thanks especially to @JTNestman and @bxbblxs_x0x who have been lovely and commented. 

Apparently there are several ways to pronounce Cassian, (I had no idea) so here's mine. 

'Cass-ee-uh-n'

Hopefully that should make sense, but really it's your choice...

Anyways, this chapter is a shorter one, so apologies, but the next chapter is going to be longer.

Please vote and comment - it means the world, and makes me want to keep writing!

I should now be uploading weekly, either on Monday or Tuesday, depending on the work I have to complete on top of writing.

Credits to everyone in my life who have all been brilliant.

I hope you all have a wonderful week.  

Without further ado, enjoy.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

KERES COULD HAVE MURDERED her brother. He stood in front of the doors to the throne room, grinning cockily and running his hands through his hair.

"What's up big sis?" he asked, his grin widening. "Don't you have a dress to try on?"

Keres sighed and took a step forward. He moved to block her path.

"You don't want to go in there; the King is very busy at the moment."

"Let me past Ragnar." Keres glanced at the guards standing on either side of the entrance, who were very studiously contemplating the wall opposite them. "I need to speak with him."

Ragnar pretended to deliberate. Keres stepped on his foot hard, then ducked under his arm, and through the doors. They shut behind her, drowning out his curses.

The king looked up from his papers, and sighed almost inaudibly.

"What is it dear?" he said.

"My Lord."

"Yes, yes. What is it dear?" he repeated, squinting at her. "Do you need a new dress?".

Keres bowed her head stiffly and came to stand next to him. "I was wondering. The people have been talking about a coronation - Ragnar's coronation. I thought I, as your firstborn child, would be first in line for the throne."

The King laughed, shattering the stiff silence. His guffaws gradually quietened, when he saw her face.

"Surely you didn't think--" he began, chuckling to himself again. "Surely you didn't think that you would be crowned queen my dear? A woman? An unmarried woman at that."

"I feel that I am as good as any man, father, and as your heir, I think--"

"Heir?" he cut her off. "There is no place in a working city for a queen. Ragnar, as my only son, will be crowned in exactly a year's time. It's all been arranged."

"Father!" Keres cried indignantly. "This has never been spoken of. You can't do this!"

"How dare you contradict your King!"

"My King has gone mad to even think of this!"

"I will not have this!" he shouted, pushing his chair back and standing up. She took a step back, and watched in horror as he raised his arm.