Then as I was leaving practice today, coach gave me another lecture about screwing up the last game. Like I haven't been kicking myself enough the last few days for screwing up the game. My mind isn't on going to some stupid fundraiser. I don't want to get dressed with a noose around my neck, that if grandma knew what I screwed up this week she'd hang me by.

Climbing out of the rain locker I quickly dry off, comb my hair, brush my teeth and get dressed. Slapping on some cologne and popping in a breath mint, I grab my phone wallet and keys then head downstairs. Within fifteen minutes I was ready to walk out the door fully dressed including my tie. The guys looked at me when I came down and rolled their eyes.

"You take almost as long to get ready as the girls." Sawyer grumbled.

"Maybe but the difference between you and me is I make this look good." I smirk cockily walking past them and out the door to our waiting limo.

It was then I remembered I hadn't warned Riley what to expect tonight. Not that I won't be right next to her the entire time but I know these things can be intimidating to anyone who hasn't had to deal with the media or had to hobnob with the elite of California.

It can even get to those of us who grew up in it

I should have warned her. People are cold, rude and will look down their noses at anyone they think is below them. I've had it happen to me, that is until Grandma found out and made them apologize publicly for their behavior. It's never happened to me again but once was enough for me to never forget it and remember to never treat others that way.

Grandma has always enforced the mindset that you treat others the way you want to be treated. I'm a firm believer in this. I've seen the effects of people letting fame and money go to their heads. I've watched those people fall from the pedestal they put themselves on because of it. Roan was just the latest on that list.

It's what started the feud between him and his dad in the first place. Roan thought he was better than the rest of the team he played on back in New York. Not like the rest of the team didn't have their dad's who played in the MBL. Most of them did or had the money to get them on the team. Reese did his best to get Roan to see reason but his ego was bigger than he was. Roan got into a huge fight and got arrested for assault.

That's when Dillon and Grandma stepped in. Now Roan is going to face his parents for the first time since he was arrested. I'm not sure he knows they're going to be here tonight. I'm not sure if he cares. I do know that if he messes up this night for Grandma, she's going to kick his ass and no one will stand in her way.

The fact is Roan still hasn't learned

"What's wrong with you, Aiden? You look pissed." Harper asked, pulling from the memory.

Shaking my head I looked out the window at the stadium as we passed it. "I should have warned Riley. She's never dealt with something like this. You know she doesn't like to be the center of attention and some of those people..."

My mind goes right back to how Roan has behaved at house parties and outings. He's got an attitude no time has been able to erase. He thinks he deserves everything he wants without working for any of it. It's the reason he's not starting the games and warming the bench.

It's the reason Wyatt is popular with everyone and Roan can't seem to connect with anyone. It's the reason Roan has stayed very much alone except for those who think money makes them worthy of being adorn, that they should be bowed down to. It's not right and the rest of us have had enough.

"... And you know Hunter and the girls will have talked to her about it. Relax man, Riley will be fine. It's not like there's anyone there that would try shit after what happened last year. Grandma is a lion defending her cubs when anyone crosses one of us." Sawyer's confidence in our family to protect the rest is as strong as any as he reminds us of Mattox and what happened last year when he tried to drug Colby.