"Then, why are you smiling like a fool? Are you not supposed to be mad at her for not telling you about her past because I know she must have claimed that was in the past", she said, angrily.

"And who told you that I don't know about her past?", he asked back.

Bimpe's eyes widened in shock and she whispered, "So you know and you are still with her? What if she breaks your heart? What if she hasn't changed as she claimed", she asked, and gave him a sympathetic look.

"Miss.... your story was great and well-revised but it was a waste of time. I don't like being in the company of liars, hypocrite, and bad people, therefore I would appreciate it if you take your leave now. As you can see I am very busy", he said and continued his work.

"Are you indirectly calling me a liar and a hypocrite?"

"I also included a bad person, it's three in one."

"You are very foolish for saying that to me. I thought you are sensible enough to read through the lines but now I know better. That girl will surely tear your foolish heart into pieces. I know more about Salamat but with this, it's quite clear that you don't deserve to know."

"Sweet Bimpe, why stress yourself when I know everything about her. Like I said the other time, it will just be a waste of time", Saleem said, with heavy sarcasm, and was enjoying himself with the way she was looking.

"Saleem dear... why not reason with me? That girl doesn't deserve a good man like you", she said, trying to move closer when he shouted at her to stand back.

He stood up and said to her, "Thank you for the compliment but the truth is that Salamat does not deserve a man like me, yes I agree with you", he said, and paused to see her reaction.

She grinned and was about to say something when he stopped her. "Do you know why I said she doesn't deserve me? It's because she is a queen and a queen deserves the best", he concluded and sat down while Bimpe's mouth dropped.

She became disappointed because she thought he was beginning to reason with her.

Bimpe fumed and hit Saleem on the head with the handbag and walked away.

On her way out, she saw Salamat by the gate which was behind the garden. Though she was shocked to see her there, she gave her a fake smile and kept walking.

Saleem touched his head and bit his lips in pain. Having lost concentration, he stood up to leave when he saw Salamat. He was also shocked to see her and seeing how sullen she was looking, he guessed she must have heard his conversation with Bimpe.

He smiled and said, "Hey small head, come over here", and he went back to where he was formally seated.

Salamat followed behind quietly and sat down.

They were in absolute silence for a while before she spoke up. "So, do you truly know about my past as you have claimed?", she asked looking at him from her peripheral view while Saleem nodded. "Why didn't you say anything to me about it?"

"It's the past, right? Since you refuse to tell me, I decided to let the past stay in the past", he replied and smiled at her.

"How did you know and do you know the truth about my past?"

"As for how I got to know, I won't tell you and for the second question, I know the truth about what happened in detail", he replied.

"How did you figured out or perhaps assumed that I know about your past?", he asked her.

Salamat looked at him and replied, "Because you are a man and if you didn't have an idea about what happened to me, you would have freaked out when she told you. But surprisingly, you didn't", she explained.

"Just like how Habib freaked out?", he asked, and Salamat nodded.

"I am not Habib, even if I didn't know beforehand, the least I would have done is come to you for explanations. Besides, all these matters not to me. And knowing about your past has not in any way changed the way I feel about you. Knowing about what you went through has earned you much respect and admiration from me. It shows that you are a strong woman."

He continued, "When we get hurt and we don't give in to the hurt, we realize that good things will come our way. I am proud of myself because I was given a divine chance to meet someone like you. Whatever happens, I will always treasure you because I know I might never find someone like you again. I want you to know that the word 'love may not be felt but it is needed and that love looks beyond all odds. Habib didn't realize the worth of your friendship until he lost it and he is seriously regretting what he did."

"Frederick Koenig once mentioned that happiness comes from the recognition and appreciation of what we have and not from the things we lack. Salamat, don't let life keep pulling you down over and over again. Follow your heart and I assure you that It will help you through. Don't let your past decide for you and deny you the right to be happy", he concluded.

Salamat sighed and said "How time flies, years go by and life takes it turn but the memories remain. Sometimes I ask myself why I find it so hard to forget. The reason why I didn't tell you was because I value our friendship and don't want to lose you. I thought if you know, you would stop being my friend", she said, sniffing.

Saleem smiled and said."Is it also the reason why you rejected my proposal", he said, but Salamat kept quiet.

"My dad used to tell me this 'Saleem if you ever find a woman of intelligence, decency, integrity, modesty, and a good heart, you must try your best to keep her because no price is too high to pay. Because such women are rare to find'. When I met you, I told myself that I have found that woman but as fate would have it, I can't keep that woman to myself because I don't deserve her."

"Saleem don't say that....."

"But having you as a friend and always beside me is a thing of joy", he said ignoring her reply.

By the time he looked up at her, she was already in tears. He offered her his handkerchief and said, "It's ok dear, everything will be fine. I hope our friendship is still intact?"

"Of course, you will always be my friend because you understand my silence. Thank you Saleem for everything, you are one in a million", she said wiping her tears.

"Thank you too for your friendship, small head", he said and smiled at her, even though, deep down he was hurting.

This was the second time she bluntly rejected him and she doesn't even know how it hurts.

'I wish I can get rid of these feelings, he thought to himself.

He looked at her and she smiled. "Oh sweetie, you have no idea what you do to me", he said to himself.

************
Finally! Chapter 20 is here. What do you think of this chapter? You guys should continue voting massively so I can keep updating daily.

Don't forget to vote and comment.

The good news I have is this: I'm going to start a new book today titled UNREQUITED FATE. I hope I will get your support, as usual.

Thank you. Love you💓