The End of Something

Start from the beginning

   "What?" Charles asked in genuine shock, knowing very well what the man meant, but needing to hear him say it aloud in order to believe it.

   "Take away their memories, Charles. Make them forget me, this place, their powers." Erik finished with a heavy heart, unable to look his counterpart in the eye.

   "But Erik, this is their home. You are their father." Charles pleaded, shocked at his friend's request.

   "I tried to be a father to them, but I've missed so much of their lives..."

   "And you are a father to them. They love you Erik! They're happy here!" Charles insisted, hoping to get through to the man.

   "But will they be safe? Can you promise me that they won't be hunted for the rest of their lives because of their abilities...because they're my children?" Erik finally looked up, desperate for his friend to say yes, but knowing the opposite to be true.

   "Well no, but..."

   "Then it's decided." Erik stated as he walked out of the office, not wanting to prolong the already difficult discussion any further.

   "Erik, wait..." Charles began as he rolled after him, but the man kept going.

   "Erik!" Charles finally yelled once more, causing the metal bender to stop dead in his tracks and turn around, now revealing his tear stained cheeks.

   "I can't lose them. Not again. They're not safe with me as their father. But if their aunt takes them in, she can give them what I can't. She can give them a normal life."

Charles didn't need to read Erik's mind to know how much this decision was eating him up inside. He finally had a family again, but the risk of losing them proved to be too much to bare.

   "How do you even know their aunt would want this?" Charles asked, not wanting to lose the children he began to think of as his own.

   "I called her when Pietro and Wanda were busy helping Hank and Raven with the mutants. Her name is Mayra, she's Magda's younger sister. The kids met her a few times when they were younger, but she was only in high school when Magda died so the state wouldn't give her custody. She couldn't take care of them then, but she can now. She wants to."

   "Erik, you realize if we do this, they could still remember. Something could trigger their memory and cause it to all come flooding back." Charles explained, hoping to change his mind.

   "That won't be a problem. We will refrain from making any contact with them." Erik said in a monotone voice, as Charles grasped his head in an effort to deal with the suddenness of it all.

   "I-I don't know, Erik." 

   "This isn't your choice. It's mine. We should do it now while they're asleep. It'll be easier that way." Erik said expressionless, despite his internal turmoil.

   "Wait, my friend. Their birthday is tomorrow. At least give them that." Charles requested and Erik hesitated for a moment as he realized the first birthday they'd get to spend together would be the last.

   "Fine, but we don't tell them anything." Erik concluded, before slowly making his way his bedroom for a sleepless night of contemplation.

And so the next day ended as quickly as it began. Charles, Erik, and the twins all went to a baseball game and had a wonderful time just enjoying each other's company.

   After an extravagant meal and cake at the mansion, made by Erik, the metal bender quickly left and returned with two perfectly wrapped gifts.