The End of Something

3rd Person P.O.V:

   "Off to bed you two." Erik ordered from his seat in Charles' office as the twins' faces fell.

   "Awe, but Dad, we just got you back. Can't we stay up a little longer?" Peter asked with puppy dog eyes.

   "No, I need to talk with Charles and you two have to get your rest so you can enjoy your birthday tomorrow." Erik smiled as the twins held a surprised expression.

   "Didn't think I'd forget, did you?" Erik joked as they quickly composed themselves.

"Well no, we just, uh-we thought that you probably lost track of time being there and all..." Wanda began awkwardly, before her father spoke up again.

"Nonsense, this is an important day! You're both officially adults." Erik beamed, though Charles could see a slight sadness in his eyes.

"So, what do you want to do tomorrow? You both choose." Erik offered before Peter quickly spoke up. 

   "Ooo can we go to a baseball game?" He asked excitedly, causing Wanda to roll her eyes playfully.

Ever since they were kids, Peter had always dreamed of going to a baseball game with his father, just like they did in the movies.

The sport never really interested him, but just the idea of spending time with Erik was more than the speedster could ever ask for.

"If that's what you both want." Erik began, surprised by his son's request. "Isn't baseball a bit slow for you?"

   "I mean yeah, but you don't go to watch the game. You go for the atmosphere and to spend time with people. It's what all dads do with their kids." Peter explained as if it was obvious.

   "Wanda, do you want to go as well?" Erik asked, despite knowing she'd agree regardless, after seeing how excited her brother was.

   "Yeah, sounds fun!" She smiled, only increasing Peter's happiness.

   "Alright, we'll go tomorrow, as long as you both go to bed...now." Erik ordered lightly, but the twins hesitated, not wanting to leave their father's side.

   "Don't worry, I'm not going anywhere." Erik lied reassuringly, catching Charles' attention.

   Trusting their father's word, Peter and Wanda uttered a soft goodnight as they gave Erik a quick hug, before Peter sped them up to their bedroom. 

   "So Erik, what did you want to talk about?" Charles asked with a welcoming smile as he closed the door to his office, knowing something was on his friend's mind.

   "I assume you heard what Stryker said...about the twins." Erik began vaguely, earning a sigh from Charles.

   "Erik, you mustn't take his words to heart. None of what he said was true. He was just trying to..."

"He was right. Wanda and Pietro will never be safe with me. They will never be able to have a normal life." Erik thought aloud, silencing his friend.

   "Their mother wouldn't have wanted this, Charles. That's exactly why she left...to keep them away from this...from me." Erik continued, as he painfully stood up from his seat in an effort to steady his racing heart.

   "What are you suggesting I do?" The telepath asked, refusing to search his friend's mind for the answer.

   "Make them forget."