13; girl meets Sunset

Eric and Delilah were in class, waiting for it to start

"Hey bud." Jack sat next to Eric.

"Oh, sorrt Buddy, that seat's saved for, "he paused and took a breath with a smile. "Monica." He said dreamily.

"What happened to," Jack paused, "Bridget" he said in the same dreamy tone.

"She found out about," pause. "Monica."

"Hey" Jack greeted Delilah as he changed seats and moved next to her. The girl smiled in response.

"Oh, excuse me is this seat taken?" Someone asked a girl standing next to Eric.

"Yes, mom." He answered glancing at her. "Mom!" He shouted in realization. "What are you doing here? Am I in trouble?"

"I'm in creative writing." Amy answered with a smile. "Hey Lilah." She waved at the smiley girl.

"But this is creative writing." Eric said with a fake smile.

"Oh, I had no idea this was your class,but well, you said to get out there in the world, so here I am, back in school." Amy explained with a smile. "Maybe could all have lunch together!"

"Your mom is like, so cool." Jack told Eric.

"No, she's not." He whispered to him.

"Amy, I'm happy you've decided to join." Delilah talked to the woman.

"Uh-uh, don't encourage it!" Eric muttered to her. "Look, mum. When i said get back in the world, I meant like, the mall."

"Eric, I'm in creative writing because I always wanted to write, and your words really inspired me." Amy started, "I was hoping you'd be, happy for me."

"Happy. I am. I'm happy." Eric said and sat down.

Amy sat down too, and they kept talking.

"Hey, I was thinking, maybe we could go to Chubbie's after class." Jack told Delilah and she smiled at him.

"Sure, I would love that."

•••

Jack and Delilah were at Chubbie's eating.

"So, you and Shawn--"

"Could we not?" Delilah interrupted Jack. "All we ever talk about is Shawn. Forget Shawn, tell me about you." Delilah demanded.

"Well, you know pretty much everything." He saud softly.

"I'm sure there's more to you than the pretty, awkward guy you show." Delilah smirked.

"Lilacs and sunsets." Jack said.

"What?"

"I remember you said you loved those." He smiled, "I love both of them too."

"You do?" She asked and he nodded. "Let me show you a place.", She stood up.

•••

"Where are we?" Jack askd the girl as she parked her car next to a cottage.

They stepped out of the car and she took his hand leading him to the back yard of the little house.

Jack looked around in awe, and smiled at the sight.

"This is my grandma's." Delilah explained as the boy kept analyzing the big garder full of lilacs. "I used to come all the time when we were younger."

"That's why you like lilacs so much, right?" Jack asked looking at her.

Delilah took his hand and led him through the garden until they arrived to a concrete spot and they laid down on the grass.

"This is beautiful Lilah." Jack smiled at her.

"I know, that's kind of why i brought you here." She joked.

"Does you grandma live here?" Jack asked curious.

"Oh, she died." Delilah said casually as she sat up.

"Sorry, I--" he sat up too.

"It's ok."

They looked at the sky in silence, watching the sun get closer to the horizon. Delilah wanted to say it. It was the perfect moment, but she felt so anxious the words didn't come out.

"Look, I wanted to talk to you about something." Jack said looking at the girl. She had her legs pressed to her chest and her chin on her knees.

"What would that be?" Delilah looked at him.

"The other, when we kissed. Did it mean anything to you?" The boy asked. "Because it did to me."

"Look, Jack. Sometimes a kiss can be a physical gesture of love and affection, but" she paused, "sometimes a kiss is just a kiss." She sighed.

"Well, I'm sorry then."

"I'm not finished." She talked again. "That kiss was just that, a kiss."

"I get it." Jack complained. "You don't ne--"

He was shut by Delilah cupping his face and kissing him. He kissed her back and placed his hand on her waist.

"This ones meant much more. Because now I know I like you, but when we first kissed I wasn't so sure." Delilah finished making Jack smile and kiss her again, lying on the grass again as the sun set behind the trees and lilacs.

•••

The class applauded as Eric sat on his seat next to Jack after reading his paper.

"Next, we'll hear from Amy." The teacher called her, and she stood uo from her seat next to Delilah.

" A young married woman by Amy Matthews." She made a small pause. Delilah could hear Eric mock her, but didn't pay attention. "The wedding was over. I was nineteen and about to embark on a new life. The hotel suit was as lovely as a picture. Alan walked toward me, and i began to tremble."

"Oh, my God" Eric cringed and covered his ears.

•••

"Where is she going?" Delilah walked out of her room when she heard Amy.

"Eric and her argued." Jack explained as she walked closer to the table next to thr kitchen where he was sitting and sat on it facing Eric.

"You should leave, Monica." Eric told her and she pecked his lips before leaving. "I feel bad for telling her that, but it's how I feel, is it that bad?" Eric asked looking at the door but when he heard no answer he turned to look at his roommates just to find them making out. "You two are disgusting." He took Shelly Kelly Cat from the couch and covered his eyes. "You shouldn't see you mom do that. I know how it feels."

•••

As they heard the door open, Jack and Delilah stood up from the sofa.

"Cory, Topanga, come in." Delilah smiled as Shawn walked out of his room.

"We're going to leave now." Jack told them as the teenagers entered the apartment.

"Have a nice date you two." Shawn winked at Delilah.

"Oh, we will."