11

K A R E N Roosevelt entered her home after a short affair with her assistant. Her platinum hair cut in a bob length. Five centimetres below her chin, not more not less. In her fingers she wore her wedding band, just for show. Her husband and her had established long ago that they would have an open marriage - if one at all - otherwise they could part ways.

They needed to be wedded in order to have an eligible heir. Other than that the two were not ready for any kind of attachment.

She was a woman of poise. Her expression always controlled and voice never more than a few decibels. Her fingernails painted a nude pink at all times. Karen had learnt to keep her emotions under wrap since she was but a little girl. It was important to do that, in order to succeed in a crowd of wolves.

And so when her youngest child turned out to be quite opposite of what she imagined her to be, she knew that she could not let herself get attached. The young girl, Angelica was trouble from the day she opened her pretty little eyes. And it only increased until the point where they kicked her out. And now after quite a few many years, her heart wondered where her youngest born was.

Perhaps it was the fact that she was no turning old. Realising the importance of having good relationships at a time where everyone around her was more attached to their work, was a shame. Both her sons were dutifully taking over their empire. While her daughters had opened a boutique, running it while playing the perfect wives to their husbands.

Everyone had a role. Except for her. The matriarch of this family. She sighed as she fixed the ruby red lipstick on her lips, her heels clicking across the marble floor. She entered the dining room, currently home to her very hungry family, full of confidence.

"Good evening darlings," her nasal voice sounded before she was even seen.
"Evening mother!" Steve was the first one to get up.
Leaving the embrace of his future wife. The thought left a sour taste in her mouth. All her kids were establishing lives away from her. It hurt her ego, thinking about how easily they had let her go.
"Hello mother!" Her remaining three children smiled at her.

"Let's begin then," her husband spoke, his voice as unemotional as ever.
Arnold was a man of few words. Unfeeling. Distant. Like her. Perhaps that us why there marriage had successfully worked for the past 35 years.

"Rosamund, where is Jacob?" She asked the eldest twin.
Rosamund was a splitting image of her. Trying to maintain the poise and demeanor of her, even in her crumbling life.
"Mother he had a meeting!" She smiled.
Hiding that there was a mistress. It was common in rich families. So it did not hurt her much. As long as her lifestyle was funded, she did not care where he spent his evenings. For every night he was in her arms.

"Guess what father?" Steve looked at Arnold with excitement.
"What?" He asked disinterested.
"We went to RAngel for lunch. And met the Alexander Reed!" Shock evident in his voice.
"WHAT?" Riley was the first one to react.
It was not everyday a man as rich as him showed up in public. Steve nodded, relating the entire incident of the morning, not skipping out the part where their mother had insulted his wife.

"Shit! Karen why would you do that?" Arnold was furious.
"Well does it matter? Men of his status always have mistresses!" She brushed it off.
Arnold sighed. Not surprised at her nonchalant attitude. Their empire was falling. And only Alexander could pull them out of it.

______________________
|C I T Y L I G H T S - |
|L O N G I S L A N D |

______________________

Angelica sat in bed. Her hand running along her keyboard at a sharp speed. Alexander was running late due to a conference call. And she refused to sleep without him at her side. She grabbed a notebook from the side drawer. Scribbling down the details of what her family members had been up to.

She smirked on reading that her beloved father's company was looking for shareholders. They needed help stabilise their company and keep it ashore.

Just then her phone rang. It was an incoming call from Raina. She had missed her friend dearly in the two days she had lived in New York. It was a drastic change. The two had lived together for quite a few years. This seperation was not easy.

"Raina I missed you so much!" Angelica squealed as she answered the call.
Going into a deep rant of what the two had been up to, they talked for an hour not realising where the time had gone. When the call ended, and Angelica stood up, exiting the large room.

It was way past midnight. It was time he came back. She entered to find him asleep on his desk. Angel sighed. Her husband was a man who worked extremely hard, seldom giving himself any break. Grabbing the tissue paper from the table, she wiped his drool. Shaking him gently.

"Xander? Come one let's go to bed". She grabbed his biceps.
Laying him on bed. She changed his clothes. Finally getting in bed herself. As if out of reflex, he turned and pulled her in to his chest. Hugging her.

The next morning, snow continued to pour on the city. At times stopping for a few minutes before continuing. Angelica had decided to stay at home, and make up a plan. Before finally establishing her base in the city she was raised in.

Alexander had headed out early in the morning. Claiming he had to set his plan of revenge in stone. Angelica had smiled at him. Kissing him for goodluck.

Angelica entered the kitchen at twelve. Asking the chefs to help her prepare a salad and some creamy alfredo pasta. She grated mozzarella cheese on top. Placing it all inside a hot pot. The salad consisted of arugula, kale, spinach, feta cheese and lemon juice. Salt, pepper and onion powder thrown in for extra flavour.

Having prepared that, she entered the wardrobe. Getting dressed appropriately. She wore golden dress pants, a brown corset top that was made of lace, a beige winter coat on top. Wearing two of her thin golden chains, Angelica placed her hair into a bun.

Applying a barely there layer of foundation, she pouted

Applying a barely there layer of foundation, she pouted. Coating her lips in a shade of pink. Giving herself a flying kiss. Wearing nude Loubitoun's, she headed out.

Signalling for the driver to take the car out, Angelica ordered him to drive her to the Reed Headquarters. She tapped her fingers on the pot of food. Impatient. She had already texted Alexander informing him of his arrival.

Alexander was in a meeting when he read the text. A beautiful smile bloomed on his face. He called over his assistant. Telling him to lead Angel in directly.
"Ah! Mr.Reed you suddenly are smiling very excitedly!" Arnold Roosevelt spoke.
Trying to maintain a good relationship with him.
"Yes Mr.Roosevelt. I would like to advise you to keep your nose in your business. Let's end the meeting gentlemen!" He left the office.
Not caring to hear what they had left to say. The remaining men of his, ushered the three Roosevelt men out.

As they exited the conference room, they were shocked to see Alexander Reed kissing a woman. Steve had a smirk on his face. He had told them that the woman was of great importance to him. And yet they chose to not believe. Unfortunately, once again, her face was hidden from them. Leaving them shrouded in mystery.

ITS ALL GOING TO KICK OFF FROM THE NEXT CHAPTER AHHHHH