Chapter 29

Emily p.o.v

We wait for forever and a day until the doctor finally says we can see Ali.

We all go back there.

When I see her, my heart breaks. She still looks horrible, and I know I can do nothing to fix her.

I hear the sound of her heart monitor. It is like music to my ears. As long as there is a beep, she is still here with me.

I hold her hand, and it feels like ice.
"Ali, you know that you just can't leave me here right?" I talk to her body. "And I love you, no matter what."

That is the truth. Now that I almost lost her, I don't even care that much about what she said to me about paige. I know she didn't mean it.

I take my other hand, and I caress her face, memorizing every detail.

"You guys have to go now," a nurse with a soft voice tells us. I lean over and kiss Alison on her cheek, and whisper, "You better wake up," and start to leave.

"Do you know when she will wake up?" I ask the soft spoken nurse.
She shakes her head.

"It's up to her whether she stays... or leaves. We just have to wait."

I look back at her, and tears blur my vision. I don't have an idea what she will choose.
+++
We all stay at Hanna's house tonight. Even spencer, Toby drove her over here.

Hanna's mom, mrs. Marin, made dinner. I only eat a little before fatigue hits me, and I go lay down.

Hanna gives me her bed, and she sleeps next to me, while aria an spencer sleep on the floor beside the bed. I don't feel it coming, but I'm soon fast asleep.
+++

I am standing on clouds... which is weird because clouds aren't solid.

"Em?" I hear a soft voice. It is how a flute would sound if it could talk to me. I know that voice though.

"Alison... where are you?" I ask looking around me. I can barley see, the sun is shining down so bright.

"Emily. I love you. You know that right?" She asks me. I can see her now. she sits in Indian style in front of me, wearing a white silky looking gown that fits her perfectly.

All the whiteness around us makes her twinkling blue eyes and hair glow.

"Yes I know that." I have the urge to just start crying, but I hold it in.

"You know I will only leave you if I really need to, right?" She tilts her head, and stares into my eyes.

"Y-yes." I let a tear fall. She looks so beautiful. I take steps toward her, but it doesn't fill the gap between us, not even a little bit.

"Right now, i really have to go. I'm not happy on Earth. I love you. And I'm happy with you, but it hurts so much. Life hurts so much..." she starts crying.

"Ali, please. Stay with me." I whisper.

"Em, I can't. Here, I don't feel anything. I'm not hurt, and I'm not sad, and I'm not running. I don't have to worry here." She smiles through her tears.

"Just let me go... okay? Please. I'll watch over you. And guess what?" She stands up.

"What?" I ask, my voice sounds heavy with tears.

"When your ready, you can come with me." She turns around and starts walking away.

"Ali. No! I need you! Please stay!" I'm crying so hard now.

Despite my cries and pleas, my beautiful angel walks away into the blinding light...