🐿️ Chapter Eighteen 🐿️

JAMES' POV

After my second failed date with Lulu due to the accident of one of her lead engineers we drifted apart. It was none of our doing, just fate being cruel. She had to get another engineer and get them up to date with everything they were doing which took up a lot of her time. On my side there was an outbreak of Black keg disease in our village and the surrounding ones which led to me working odd hours and having less time for casual meetings. My uncle had even come out of retirement to help me since the work was too much for one person. We had to vaccinate the unaffected animals and treat the sick ones. There was a huge loss of cattle and for a pastoralist community it took its toll. Lulu stepped up and helped up us where she could, making sure we had all the medicine and tools to curb the disease.

It had been two months and we had just seen each other in passing never seeing each other for more than five minutes at a time. I really missed her but we were both busy and there was nothing we could do about that. Anytime I planned on us meeting or spending time together an emergency always came up and we ended having to cancel plans. It made me think that we had to be cursed or something. I couldn't get her out of my head and I was scared that the distance would build a bigger bridge between us. We already struggled enough without being separated by our responsibilities. We couldn't ignore our work but I also hoped the stars would align in our favor so we could get some much needed us time.

Someone patted my back grabbing my attention from my depressing thoughts. I turned around and faced my uncle who was dressed in similar coveralls to mine.

"What's on your mind son? You look distracted."He inquired putting his bag in the bed of the truck.

"A lot."I replied honestly.

"Want to talk about it?"

"No, I'll be okay."I answered not really in the mood to talk about it.

There was nothing anybody could do to help me.

"That's okay just don't get too lost, you need to be a hundred percent to do this job properly."He advised and I nodded.

I closed the bed of the truck and we got in driving to the next homestead. We had just finished vaccinating a hundred cattle and it was just ten o'clock in the morning. We had a long day ahead of us. We were almost done covering all the animals, just two more weeks and we'd be free. Maybe then I'd get some actual free time to spend with Lulu. My uncle kept giving me weird glances but I didn't dare acknowledge him. I kept one hand on the wheel with the other on my chin. I really needed to get some time off. My dreads needed a retouch and I was starting to grow a beard and I preferred my face clean shaven. I couldn't let Lulu see me in such a state, no need to give her another reason to stay away from me.

After I dropped my uncle off at his home at the end of the day I decided to pass by my parents compound to check up on them. I'd already vaccinated their livestock but my mom kept demanding to see me and I didn't want her showing up at my place unannounced so I decided to heed her call. I parked the truck just outside the compound and got out locking it. I was very grateful to Lulu for lending it to me, it helped me a lot. My truck had decided it was done working completely so I'd sold it for parts. I was hoping to save up enough money to buy a new one but that was not my priority at the moment. Lulu had also assured me not to be in a rush. I still needed to finish my house and the sanctuary was already undergoing renovations and that was a lot money already even with Lulu's help.

Since I showed up late in the evening everyone was settled down eating so I wasn't attacked by excited kids. I washed up outside before entering my mother's hut where she was gathered with my dad and a few of my siblings eating supper. The food was laid out in the middle and everyone was busy catching up and eating. It reminded me of the time Lulu had visited the compound for the first time. It seemed so long ago yet it was only five months ago.