🦓 Chapter Nine 🦓

LULU'S POV

Liam, our Electrical engineer and I had spent all morning scouting for the perfect place to set up a field of solar panels. It wasn't going to be as huge as the one found in the Sahara but large enough to power a few villages and the nearest small towns. We were in one of the hottest places in Kenya, better take advantage of all that extra sun. We had found the perfect spot and after a few more members of his team had gotten there I'd left them behind to finish mapping up.

There was so much to do the coming week but once everything settled down and everyone began their work it would be perfect. Most of the machines we needed like the drill for the bore holes, the mixers, cranes and most of the building materials were set to arrive within the next few days. My main role besides being the overall supervisor was to set up the green houses seeing as that's what my degree was about. I'd get to it but only after everything else was set. I was being pulled into too many directions at the moment to put my full concentration into good work.

It was two days after the church service where we had distributed all the relief food and we had already gotten so many volunteers to help out. We took in anyone willing to help even if they had no skills whatsoever. Pushing a wheelbarrow didn't require much skill just muscle and these people had lots of that.

I had yet to get some alone time with James and I was so preoccupied I didn't even get the time to text or call him. He didn't call or text me either but I was not holding it against him. I had noticed that James was a little shy when it came to me and instead of putting me off it was kind of nice knowing I affected him like that. We'd get some alone time soon and hopefully I'd be able to get him out of his shell.

I realized I had been driving for about forty five minutes and I was lost considering I couldn't see any familiar sight. Boy was I screwed. That's what I got for driving with a preoccupied mind. I decided to drive forward for another ten minutes and if I didn't see anything familiar I'd call for help. Maybe it'd give me the final excuse to finally call James.

Twenty minutes and there turns later, I was officially lost. I pulled over the side of the road and finally called James. I thought he wasn't going to pick up but he finally did on the last ring.

"Lulu?"He called out as if he couldn't believe when I was the one calling.

His voice calmed my slightly racing heart and I chuckled nervously.

"Yeah it's me and I need your help."I admitted.

My tone of voice must have alerted him that it wasn't a social call because his tone of voice became more alert.

"What's wrong?"He asked concerned.

"Argh, I took a few wrong turns and now I'm lost."I admitted biting my lower lip nervously.

Instead of making fun of me James was so sweet about the whole situation.

"Umh okay well don't freak out just yet. Look around and tell me what you see."He requested.

"Dried grass and acacia trees."I replied fast.

The whole place was the same.

"You didn't even look."James commented with a chuckle.

"Yes I did."I argued even though he was right.

"No you didn't. Look closer and look for a distinguishing figure."He requested and I got out of the car to look around.

Honestly it was all the same to me. I didn't a full turn and saw nothing out of place except for some black and white stripes in the distance. One closer look I noticed that it was a zebra. I hadn't seen one of those since I got there so that must be a distinguishing sight, right?