Chapter 26 - Knighting

The sound of the apartment door closing jars me awake. I slowly open my eyes, confused for a moment as to why I'm not sleeping on a spaceship with Luke or Leia nearby. Right. I'm home. Instead, I'm lying in an awkward position on the couch in the living room, with Anakin standing just inside the apartment door. How did he get out without waking me up? Was I really that exhausted last night? I guess it wouldn't be too surprising.

"So, you're finally awake, Snips?" he questions teasingly.

"It's not that late," I retort, glancing at the window to see the angle of the sunlight streaming in. Okay, maybe it is. It's probably like midmorning by now.

"Well, there's a Council meeting to attend within the hour, so you need to hurry," he replies, "Oh, yes, and I thought you may want these?" He holds up my two lightsabers.

I swing my legs off the couch and stand up slightly unsteadily before walking over to him and taking the blades from him. I do my best to ignore how odd it feels to suddenly have a much smaller body. I'd kept growing in the future, but I'm still the same as I was now that I came back here. I'm not certain why the lightsaber wound Vader gave me time traveled, while the damage I endured from the lightning assault did not. Perhaps it was the Force's way of conveying that yes, I did time travel, and no, I'm not crazy.

I ignite them, watching as the green blades hiss to life. The very sight brings so many memories. They remind me of those days I still considered myself a Jedi. Not anymore, but they're still mine. They're a symbol of my promise now. To stay and help my brother. I deactivate the blades, clipping them to my belt. "Thank you, master," I state softly.

"You're welcome, Ahsoka."

Before long, I find myself standing in front of the Jedi Council. The same members who were on Coruscant yesterday are present. They are sitting in their usual places in a semicircle.

"Disturbing visions you have had, Obi-Wan has told us," Yoda begins.

I nod mutely as I glance between the Council members. Master Plo might have hurt me badly, but right now, I'm just grateful to see him alive. They've been dead for way too long. The six months I spent in the future have certainly decreased my resentment towards them, even though it's not all gone. If the chance arises, I may just give them a word or two about what they did to me. Situations like that – not even using the Force, just blinding following the Senate or their own arrogance ­– is what led to their downfall, and they need to hear it, whether they'll like it or not.

"Are you certain it was time-travel?" inquires Windu. He doesn't believe a word. What happened to those speeches about me acting like a Jedi Knight I heard just yesterday their time, again? Yes, this is why I neither trust nor like the Jedi Council. And that will never change.

"I have proof," I retort, raising my now-healed arm, but the scar is still visible, "You all know I didn't have this yesterday, and I wouldn't have done it to myself. There's no way this could have appeared from only a vision." No one can argue that. Maybe it is actually a good thing Vader cut my arm in the fight, or I wouldn't have any real proof. Silence settles over the room for a long moment.

"What did you see?" inquires Plo gently.

"The Sith created an Empire out of the Republic and destroyed the Jedi. Only a few were still alive twenty years later. The Sith have a lot of influence over the Senate. No one beyond everyone right here can know about this. No other Jedi, and certainly no non-Jedi."

"Not even the Chancellor?" asks Anakin. I can hear a hint of surprise in his tone.

Rage burns through me at the very mention of his name. Just how much influence has he had on my master without anyone realizing it? It explains why Palpatine always made me wait outside his office, unlike most people would do. I'd wondered for years, and now I finally know. "Not one living being beyond the Jedi Council can know," I retort, my voice raising slightly. I only hope no one sensed the sudden surge of anger, but from Anakin's confused expression, I'm pretty sure he did.