Guarding Miss Kim (3)

Start from the beginning

That was gone now.

"You're an asshole," Jennie hissed before storming up the stairs and locking herself in her room.

Lisa closed her eyes and took a deep breath. She hated this -- she hated hurting her. And she couldn't deny she was hurt by this, too. Try as she might to ignore it, Lisa did want Jennie again. It wasn't just about the sex, either, which terrified her. Hell, she'd settle for just holding her right now until she wasn't upset with her anymore.

Dangerous thinking. Lisa shook her head and pulled out her cell phone, knowing she had to resign now before she lost her nerve.

Mr. Kim picked up on the first ring.

"Is everything okay, Lalisa?" He asked, the panic tangible in his voice.

"Hi, sir. Yes, everything is fine. Sorry to worry you," Lisa said.

Mr. Kim exhaled. "Damn near gave me a heart attack, kid."

"Sorry," Lisa said again, automatically.

"Well, what is it, then?"

Lisa cleared her throat, unsure of how to continue. "The thing is, well..." She sighed. "There's no easy way to say this, sir, but I'm going to have to give you my notice."

Dead silence on the other end of the phone.

"Sir?" Lisa prompted.

"Your notice?" Mr. Kim asked, as if he were unfamiliar with the word.

"Yes," she replied with as much confidence as she could muster. "I'm so sorry, but I can't continue working for you. I know you'll need to find a suitable replacement, so I can stay on for as long as that takes, but..."

"Lalisa, cut the shit and tell me what's really going on," Mr. Kim said flatly. "You've worked for me for years without so much as a complaint. And now all of a sudden you want out?"

Terror coursed through Lisa, as if Mr. Kim would somehow be able to figure out Lisa had fucked his daughter.

"It's not you, sir," Lisa assured him. "You've been very good to me. But it's just...this particular posting," she added quickly. "The secluded nature of the assignment. It's getting to me. And if I'm not sharp, I won't be able to do my job properly."

Lisa waited in silence to see if Mr. Kim bought this.

"I know what this is really about," Mr. Kim declared. "It's Jennie, isn't it?"

Lisa's heart stopped.

"S-sir?" She managed.

"You can drop the act," he continued. Lisa's legs felt weak and she had to sit down on the couch.

"You aren't getting along with Jennie, are you?" Mr. Kim asked. As the shock wore off, Lisa had the urge to laugh.

"What? No, I--"

"Don't lie to me, kid," Mr. Kim said. "It's okay. I know my daughter can be difficult."

A defense immediately leapt to Lisa's lips. "No, of course not. She's fine. She's..."

"She's a spoiled brat," Mr. Kim said simply. "And I suppose I'm to blame for that, but there's not much I can do about it now. I'm sorry you're stuck there with her, Lisa. To be honest, I'm glad to have some distance from her right now."

Lisa sat there in stunned silence as Mr. Kim continued to detail every way in which he found his daughter to be lacking or disappointing. She couldn't believe it. Lisa had never witnessed Jennie being anything other than a kind, friendly young woman -- yet her own father acted as if he could hardly tolerate her.