Chapter 30: The End of the World

Start from the beginning

Asuna: Three more hours of waiting. What should we do meanwhile?

Ares: ...

Not responding to her question, she turned to face him, seeing that he hasn't moved an inch. She didn't have to see his face to understand something was bothering him.

Asuna: Is something wrong?...

Ares: ...Asuna. Please forgive me for what I'm about to ask... This boss fight today...could you not take part and wait here for my return?

The swordswoman turned back and faced her legs, letting out a whisper of a response.

Asuna: ...Why would you ask that?

Ares: ...We simply can't predict what'll happen in a place where we can't use teleport crystals... I'm afraid. I'm afraid of something happening to you. Something I could have prevented... My soul simply can't take that risk...

Asuna: So you expect me to wait for you here while you go to someplace dangerous, alone?

His fists tighten as even he is angry with himself. Hopping off her place of rest and walking over to her lover and stands before him.

Asuna: You know what would happen if I waited and you didn't come back?... I would kill myself... Not only would I lose my reason to keep living, but I would also never forgive myself for simply waiting here. So what is the point?... . If you want to run away, then we'll run away together. If that's what you want to do, then I'm fine with it...

The slayer finally looked up to meet her face, seeing the honesty in her eyes. She reaches for his hands, easily unfolding his tense arms.

Ares: ...I guess I'm losing my edge.

Asuna: You're the one who taught me that it's okay to be afraid. But everybody taking part in today's battle is afraid too, and they also want to run away. Yet, despite the fear, they still agreed to join... We have to try. Try our best to beat this game and return to the real world. I want to spend my whole life by your side. I want to go out with you for real, get married to you for real, and then grow old together. And the only way to do that is to try together.

The girl's arm snaked their way around the boy's chest and pulled herself closer, resting her head on his shoulder. Silent tears rolled down her face, as she tried to resist thinking about the inevitable doom of their real-world bodies if they don't escape. They had discussed the topic of their real-world bodies while on their 2-week vacation. Even if they don't clear all 100 floors of Aincrad, their deteriorating bodies won't last for much longer.

Ares: ...You're right. We have to keep fighting. We have no other choice...

- TimeSkip - 75th Floor - Collinia -

The bright blue light flashed and immediately died down at the 75th-floor's teleport gate plaza

The bright blue light flashed and immediately died down at the 75th-floor's teleport gate plaza. The group of high leveled players watched as the armored slayer and second-in-command of the Knights of the Blood Oath walked out of the blue light. All eyes were on them, some send tense glances at the beater, and some even a guild salute to the Vice commander.