Ch. 1

A sliver of predawn gray cast the trees and the fields beyond in a blanket of restlessness as life began stirring. Goosebumps prickled my arms as I took off my gardening gloves and stretched, satisfaction at another beautiful day filling my face. Today, I wanted to feel the dirt under my fingers, to know that my work was leaving an impression on both the fruit trees and myself. I placed a hand on one of the trunks, feeling the intricate pattern of the bark. The branches hung heavy with fruit, nearly ready to be picked.

Whether it was the early hour, the slight chill, or the feeling of anticipation, my mind wandered to when I had first planted these trees, this orchard. Twelve years ago, when I was a different person. And though I could have begun my work, my morning chores (there was plenty that needed to get done), I let those memories come back, let the story of my past flow through my being. It was a very different day than this one, back in the spring, when changes and new life begin...

Twelve years earlier

Thunk, scrape, heave, toss. Thunk, scrape, heave, toss. I wiped sweat off my brow. Thunk, scrape, heave, toss. Thunk, scrape, heave, toss. The sun glinted on the shovel, blinding me. Blinking away the spots, I grunted and continued working. Thunk, scrape, heave, toss.

"Need a break?" a voice asked beside me. Turning, I found my mom smiling, wearing an old plaid dress and holding a cup of water.

"Thanks," I said, taking a sip. I leaned on the shovel, surveying my work. Five holes dug for the new fruit trees. Only five more to go.

"You shouldn't work yourself so hard. It's hot out," said Mom, putting a hand on my back. I rolled my eyes, shrugging her off.

"Mom, I'm fine. Besides, if I don't do it, who will? The men?" I laughed, already knowing the answer. Due to the Prince's war, there were no men left in town; only the women remained to make sure life continued.

Mom sighed. I knew without looking that her face had a small frown, exasperation coating her features. "I know the war makes life hard, Thea, and that you miss your brother, but we'll get through."

He wasn't the only one I missed, but it wasn't worth thinking such thoughts. That particular person would not be coming back.

"And he will come back to an orchard of fruit trees," I said, shoving down the feelings of loss and handing the cup back. I, for one, wasn't going to let a lack of men stop me from having a decent life.

Mom opened her mouth to respond, no doubt with a comment about how I needed to face reality rather than bury it with work, when a pounding of hooves shook the ground.

"Thea! Bandits, in the town!" Shay, my friend, came racing up on a beige horse, bow in hand. Now that I wasn't hammering into the ground, I could hear the faint sound of the warning bells.

"Quick, go!" said Mom, pushing me toward Shay, who helped me up into the saddle behind her. "I'll be right behind." Nodding, I held Shay's waist as she raced the quarter mile back to my house.

Jumping off, I told Shay to go on ahead - I'd catch up. Running inside, I grabbed my sword and ran to the stables. Kynthelig was pawing the ground impatiently, tossing his dark head.

"I know, boy," I said, sliding his reins on. "We'll get them." Kynthelig was a magnificent creature, a gift from the army when they came to inform us of Dad's death. Apparently, Dad was an important figure in the army, and they wanted to show us their appreciation for his service. So what did the army do? They gave us a horse and took away my brother. Typical. Still, Kynthelig was an excellent horse built with raw power and speed. I had hardly swung my leg over when Kynthelig took off, heading toward the town.