Chapter 9. "I will follow the Prime Directive."

"I thought you said the restaurant was upstairs?" Briel recalled when they took the elevator down.

"Upstairs doesn't serve french fries", Kincade smiled when he saw Briel's eyes getting bigger and his cheeks flushed.

"I noticed that your skin cleared up a lot", he said running his index finger over Briel's pink but smooth cheeks.

"The skin products Giorgio selected for me really help", Briel nodded. "Expensive though. I googled them at home."

Arriving at the restaurant, Kincade opened the door for him.

"Thank you", he said walking through.

"Do you remember that little something extra he put in?" he asked handing his coat to the waiter. "It was a scented candle, smelled like heaven. I almost lit it until Benny googled the brand and told me it cost eighty dollars."

Kincade's eyes slid to the twelve hundred dollar Mont Blanc watch on Briel's wrist. 'Better not mention that.'

"Maybe you should stop googling the products. Everything on the VIP level is high-end and not meant for the average wallet."

"Good evening, Mr. Russell", a stoutly build man greeted them. "Welcome to 'Bernice'. My name is Bernard, owner of this establishment. What a pleasure to be able to serve you today. I do believe this is the first time you grace us with your presence."

"My companion wanted french fries and your restaurant was recommended", Kincade said shaking the man's hand.

Briel felt the scrutinizing glance and automatically shifted to hide himself behind Kincade. The hand against his back stopped him. Surprised he looked up also realizing the correcting effect of his sole when he didn't lose his balance. Straightening into his full length he led his hands glide past his new clothes and conjured a smile on his face.

"Could eat a whole plate by myself", he nodded and followed the man to a private table in the corner.

Kincade quickly scanned the menu, while Briel inhaled the breadsticks the waiter just put on the table.

"We'll have two 'steak bearnaise'. Medium and medium rare."

It was served with asparagus and thickly sliced fries. He saw Briel mouthing him something. "And applesauce for the baby", he mocked, rolling his eyes when Briel didn't seem offended. 'Someone was in a good mood now he ate something.'

"Would you like some wine?" he inquired eying the wine-list. "Their Cabernet Merlot looks decent."

Looking up he saw Briel hesitate. "You didn't mention your alcohol preference."

"Alcohol impairs the senses. I'm not a fan."

Kincade nodded. 'Fit the profile.'

"I'll indulge in a glass since we won't discuss our agreement tonight."

Briel checked his watch and noted to his surprise that it was already passed eight-thirty.

"I've made a list using the website as a guideline. It's in my old backpack. Could I hand it to you before I leave so you can view it in private? That would give us a starting point for our discussion on Thursday."

He hoped Kincade didn't consider his request as pushy, but he was too embarrassed to see him read it for the first time.

"Sounds good", was Kincade's relieving answer.

"You changed my preference from well done to medium", Briel poked his steak with interest.

"Benny mentioned the story you told him compiling the food list. Food poisoning is very serious indeed", Kincade agreed. "However, a properly prepared steak is a real treat. Cooking it completely through, simply because you're afraid of getting sick is a waste."