Chapter 5. "Let's put theory into practice, shall we?"

Sipping his morning coffee Kincade saw his phone lit up. A message from Davis. He scowled when he read it. Definitely not written by Davis.

-Are all Master Doms big fat liars or is that another you thing? You promised me we would negotiate every step, but since then blindsided me twice with your 'none negotiable' crap forcing me to accept your decision.-

Kincade shook his head. 'Now that was unfair.'

-You wouldn't accept Davis so I offered the MetroCard instead and let you go home on your own terms.- 'See. He could compromise.'

-Bullshit! You put me on a leash.-

'Hm, now there was an image', Kincade mused. 'It had never been his thing, but maybe he should reconsider.'

-Davis stays! He's there to protect you.-

-Why would I need protection all of a sudden? Are you in the Mafia, or something?-

It made him laugh so hard that Olive looked up from her desk.

-It's a me thing, okay? You don't like a disturbance to your routine and neither do I.-

-You do realize that this poor man spend the night in his car outside my apartment. Have you any idea how cold it gets this time of year? I would call that irresponsible. Find another way to satisfy your insecurities! My break just ended. I'm going back to work.-

Kincade stared at his phone almost choking on the word 'insecurities'.

A new message appeared.

-It's me, Sir. Sorry about that. They ganged up on me.-

-They?-

-I'm currently sitting in the bakery where Mr. Corbett works, Sir. The son of the owner, also Mr. Corbett's roommate, Benito Corazon pickpocketed my phone.-

Davis looked up and saw the cute boy shake his bubble butt winking at him and let out a mournful sigh. How embarrassing. A highly trained bodyguard hoodwinked by Twinks.

His phone showed a new message making him smirk and walk over to Briel. This one paled while reading.

-Meet me for lunch at the Country Club. It seems we need to have a talk about the requirements a Master Dom has.-

A small nod was all he could muster.

Picking up his clean clothes from the laundromat he went home to change and silently sat in the backseat. Asking Benny on how to handle Kincade had been a big bust. All seemed to spin around heavily flirting to butter him up and distracting him by shaking his butt. It worked like a charm on Davis, but no way was he going to do any of that to Kincade.

All that remained was facing the man head on. Maybe he should be happy Kincade left room for negotiations although he held no illusions that things would go any other way than he planned. And he wouldn't be wrong perse. Kincade merely followed the line of how Dominants acted. It was he who didn't fit in the picture. What he found out yesterday evening only widened the gap.

After the surprise of finding out that Kincade was an architect, Briel googled him. When he said he lived upstairs he meant the fricking penthouse! Not so strange considering his family owned the whole damned building!!!!

Straightening his clean but worn-down clothes, Briel was surprised when Davis drove him past the main entrance of the Country Club and stopped at a side door. The door opened the moment he stepped out of the car.

Two contrasting emotions forced themselves on Briel. Gratefulness, for not having to face the dismissive looks of the front desk employees. Resentment, for being treated like a dirty little secret smuggled in unseen. Both were big blows to his self-esteem. It made him retreat further into the safety of his own protective walls.