Chapter 42: Return of the King

"We'd better get out of here" the Old Man said to Link "The Great Deku Tree is right, the first part of the Prophecy of the Legendary Hero has already come true."

"Farewell" the Great Deku Tree rumbled "And thank you for ridding my wood of all darkness"

Link and the Old Man took the short way out to Hyrule Field by going north of the Great Hyrule Forest and out across the Deplian Badlands.

They reached Hyrule Field, the big open green prairie that was usually fairly empty with occasional travelers and animals.

But now, Hyrule Field was far different.

The most notable difference was that the sky was now crimson and a Blood Moon was permanently ruling the sky.

Pools of malice dotted the grassland, and there were monster bases set up in various areas.

The grass was all brown, and the small puddles of water were strange colors and polluted.

"This is what happens when the hero takes a six month break in the woods" the Old Man sighed

Suddenly the ground began shaking, as if a stampede was charging toward Link and the Old Man.

"This is bad" the Old Man said "You must not die if Hyrule is to survive"

A purple malice-corrupted Guardian appeared before Link and the Old Man.

The Guardian Stalker's spider-ish legs crawled creepily toward Link, and scanned the Hero, identifying Link as it's target

It aimed a red pointer toward Link, and the Old Man and Link moved out of the way as a powerful laser was sent in their direction, and it caused a fiery explosion.

"We can take this" Link panted "It might be tough, but we can beat this mechanical monstrosity"

"I wouldn't be so sure of that" the Old Man stated as he pointed behind the Guardian Stalker, where a dozen more were crawling toward their prey.

"Oh no" Link said "We're done for"

"You have the Triforce of Courage within you!" the Old Man barked "Be Brave!"

"You are right" Link said "I can be brave!"

The Guardian's red pointer was pointed right at Link's heart, prepared to blow him to smithereens.

"LINK!" the Old Man yelled

But Link didn't move out of the way.

He got his Hylian Shield, and put it right in the path of the red pointer.

The Guardian Laser came at Link, and Link parried just in time.

The Guardian Laser was sent back to the Guardian Stalker, and the beam hit the machine and it blew up.

The explosion was big enough that it caused a second guardian to explode.

The rest of the Guardians were unable to detect Link and the Old Man as they ran away, because of the layer of smoke and fire produced by the explosions.

When the Old Man and Link were at a safe distance, the Old Man sat down on a log to rest.

"What are you doing?" Link asked "We gotta run and find shelter!"

"I am nearly seventy years old!" the Old Man barked "I can't run anymore, so give me some time to breath!"

"Fine" Link sighed 

"I have some to tell you" the Old Man gripped his walking stick tight

"What is it?" Link asked

"You know how I had the Hylian Shield, and knew of the Prophecy?"

"I was wondering how you knew that"

"Well Link" the Old Man said "Right now I am just an ordinary Old Man, but before the Royal Massacre I was the Last King of Hyrule"

"ARE YOU SERIOUS?" Link yelled "YOU ARE THE KING OF HYRULE?"

"Was the King of Hyrule" the Old Man corrected

"WEREN'T YOU KILLED IN THE ROYAL MASSACRE?" Link yelled

"Let me explain" the  Last King of Hyrule said "During that fateful dinner, half of the Sheikah warriors present that night betrayed us and in a poof a smoke they changed into Yiga outfits and struck down the good Sheikah and the Royal Guards, and they beheaded my wife, the queen. I saw as Baby Zelda disappeared in some magic light, and as the Yiga murdered the Hylian Champion gruesomely. A Yiga Footsoldier used their Duplex Bows to fire two arrows into my stomach, and my robes and crown fell off of me as I fell out of the window, and I was assumed to be dead since they found my robes and crown covered in blood"

"Wow" Link said "Why did you never try to take back your throne?"

"By the time I had recovered from the attack, it was far too late for me to do anything. Right now I am just a simple Old Man trying to give the hero some advice, althought I think my time is coming to an end"

"Are you going to reunite with your daughter Zelda?" Link asked "After we save Hyrule you could be the King again!"

"No" the Last King of Hyrule sighed "I have fulfilled my purpose of helping the Hero, and so my silly life's story comes to a conclusion"

The Last King of Hyrule spread out his arms, the walking stick falling to the ground.

Without its balance, he began to slowly fall backwards off the log, until his back hit the grass.

"No!" Link tried to see if he was still alive, but he was dead.

"This is all Ganon's fault!" Link yelled.

Link stood up as tall and proud as he could, and stared out at Ganon's Castle.

"GANONDORF!" Link declared to the world "I AM BACK, AND YOU ARE ABOUT TO BE DESTROYED IN THE NAME OF HYRULE!"

Link got out the Master Sword and Hylian Shield.

First thing, he had to find his friends.