TWENTY-TWO

"Happy Valentine's day," Dex told them as he walked into the cafeteria. "Sorry I wasn't here this morning. The triplets decided to spray-paint the bathroom red."

"This Valentine's day kind of sucks," Biana mumbled.

Dex blinked as he sat down. "Why?"

"Because Tam's not here to share it with me." Biana explained. "I mean, he called me this morning, but he's also got a lot of stuff to do today so I can't talk to him later."

Dex bit his lip before turning to Sophie. "How's your Valentine's day?"

Sophie shrugged. "I mean, I kind of agree with Biana, but Keefe's not really doing anything after his classes, so I think I'm just going to Facetime him."

"I'm so glad I don't have a boyfriend," Maruca said with a laugh. "I'm having a great Valentine's day."

"Yeah, it feels great to be single," Jensi said, and he and Maruca gave each other a high-five.

"You guys don't need to be upset about it," Dex turned back to Sophie and Biana. "I mean, you have me."

"But you're not Tam," Biana groaned as Sophie said, "Thanks Dex,"

"Yes, but I'm Dex," Dex said with a grin. "I'm super cool. And I got everyone something." He placed his bookbag on the table and started pulling out those heart-shaped boxes and handing one to each of them. "Those boxes are another reason why I was late this morning."

"This is so sweet," Maruca said with a smile. "Thank you Dex."

Jensi had already started eating the chocolate from the box. "This is so good!"

The rest of their conversation was about Valentines day and about how they were already ready for school to be over.

"The bells going to ring in," Dex started, looking at his watch. "Five...four...three...two..."

The bells chimed and everyone dumped their trays and made their way to their lockers to get their stuff for their next class.

§§§

"I'm home," Sophie said as she walked inside and shut the door behind her. "Guess what? I made a 100 on my government test today."

"That's wonderful," Edaline said, walking out of the kitchen and greeting Sophie with a hug. "Oh, by the way, there's a package for you on the counter."

Sophie grinned, pulling away from her mom and skipping to the kitchen and finding a big, brown box. It was addressed to her, and it was from Keefe.

Sophie took the box and ran into her room, dodging Oakley—who was laying on her floor—and jumping onto her bed. She tried her best to open the box, and after a few tries she finally got it open.

Inside was a card—which she looked at first.

It said:

Dear Foster,
Happy Valentine's day! It kind of sucks that I can't spend this day with you but I'm just glad you're reading this card. I hope you have a wonderful day, and just know that I'm down for facetime whenever you are.
Love,

Keefe

p.s. Make sure to tell Oakley that I love her too!

Sophie smiled before sliding off her bed, picking up Oakley and kissing her. "Keefe says he loves you,"