FIVE

"Hey Dex," Sophie asked as she picked up the phone and held it to her ear. "What's up?"

"Nothing much," He said. "I just wanted to give you a call and check up on you. That's what best friends do, so..."

Sophie smiled. "That's very sweet of you," She told him. "Any plans for today, or are you just going to be having a normal day?"

"Well," Dex said. "My dad and I are taking a trip to town to get some supplies for his store, then my mom's taking me and the triplets out for lunch, and then I'm going to the park to help Jensi with a surprise."

Sophie laughed. "What kind of surprise?"

"I have no idea," Dex said, chuckling. "I'm slightly terrified."

Sophie laughed once again. "Eh, Jensi's harmless. The worst thing he'd do is probably explode paint in your face."

"True," Dex said. "And, in that case, I'm bringing an extra change of clothes."

Sophie nodded. "Great decision,"

"I have a question," Dex said after a second.

"What?" She asked, wondering about his, now, serious tone of voice.

"Are you going to say goodbye to Keefe tomorrow?" Dex asked—and Sophie felt her insides turn inside out.

She sighed. "I really want to. I just don't know if he wants me to. It's super confusing and annoying."

"I'm sure he'd want you to," Dex said. "You said that Ro wanted you to see him, right? Well, she knows Keefe better than a lot of people, so I'd do it."

Sophie nodded, sighing again. "Alright—I'll think about it."

"Great," Dex said. "Oh, I wanted to also call you to ask if you were still coming to the camping trip?"

Sophie smiled. The Dizznee's decided to take themselves and Sophie's family on a camping trip so it'd be like a family get-together.

"I'm planning on it," Sophie told him. "But I will let you know if plans change."

"Alright," Dex said. "See you later."

Then he hung up.

Sophie stayed on her contacts list, though, and scrolled through. It took her a bit, but she finally reached Ro's contact information and decided to call her.

"Hello?" Sophie said into the phone when there was no answer.

"Hey blondie," Ro said with a yawn. "What's up?"

"Um," Sophie started, biting her lip. "I was just wondering at what time Keefe was leaving tomorrow morning?"

"Sometime around 5:30 AM," Ro told her. "Why? Are you planning on seeing him before he leaves?"

"Maybe," Sophie said, not wanting to give Ro the satisfaction of knowing her plans.

"Alright," Ro said—and Sophie could practically sense her grin. "Is there anything else you need?"

Sophie shook her head to herself. "Nope, that's all."

"Okay, see you tomorrow my sweet blondie," Then she hung up before Sophie could say anything back.

§§§

The moment felt way too familiar.

The red truck with boxes in the back, the morning colors painting the sky, her kitten-pattered pajama's, and the feeling of sorrow.