THREE

As Sophie hobbled into Elwin's office that afternoon, she had a smile on her face, and she had to try really hard to contain her excitement.

It was now the end of June, and Sophie's was getting her braces off.

She got up onto the cot and sat there for a minute, Edaline sitting at one of the plastic chairs in the corner, waiting for Elwin.

Then, after five minutes, Elwin walked in with a clipboard and a smile on his face. "Hey Sophie, long time no see."

Sophie laughed. "Hey Elwin,"

Elwin nodded and then proceeded the write some things down on his clipboard before putting it on the counter and walking over to her. "Are you ready to be free to walk normally?"

"Yep," Sophie said immediately.

Elwin took of her boot first and then moved her foot around in different directions. Thankfully, none of them hurt Sophie and Elwin seemed very pleased.

"Now, let's look at your arm," He took the brace off of her arm and also began to move that appendage around.

It felt a little sore, but other than that Sophie didn't feel anything odd at all.

"Alright," Elwin clasped his hands together. "You're free to go."

Sophie grinned as she hopped off the cot and started to gingerly walk around the room. It felt wonderful to be able to walk again.

Elwin walked the two of them out, and before they walked out the door, Elwin yelled, "And don't come back anytime soon!"

Sophie's face turned red from all the stares she got, but she laughed and said, "I'll try,"

"Let's head home," Edaline said as she and Sophie got in the car.

"Actually," Sophie said as they started backing out. "Can we drive by Dex's house to get my car? I can walk normally now."

Edaline smiled and nodded before they drove, made their way down a long dirt road, and to the Dizznee's Victorian-styled house.

Sophie got out of the car—Edaline decided to stay inside—and walked up to the door, knocking on it a few times.

After a minute or two, the door opened and Juline stood at the threshold with a grin.

"Hi Sophie," She greeted with a smile. "What brings you here?"

"Uh, I need to see Dex," She said, smiling back. "I got my braces off and I wanted to get my car."

Juline nodded. "Of course. I'd let you inside, but the triplets just smashed a ton of my Fine China on the ground, so it's everywhere. I'll go get Dex."

"Oh," Sophie's eyes became wide. "Okay,"

Honestly, the triplets were demons, and Sophie couldn't imagine what kind of punishment they'd get for breaking Juline's China.

After a minute more of waiting, Dex was at the door with her key/keychain in hand.

"Congrats," He told her, handing over the keychain. "You can drive now."

"Thanks," Sophie said, smiling at the keys.

"No problem," He said with a nod. "And, by the way, Linh wanted me to ask if you planned to see her and Tam off at the airport tomorrow. She said she tried to call you, but you never answered."

"Oh!" Sophie exclaimed. "Yeah, I'll come. My phone wasn't charged this morning, so I left it at home."

Dex nodded. "I'll make sure to tell her."