FOUR

"Sophie, can you get the door?" Grady asked as the doorbell sound chimed through the house.

"Yep," Sophie said, getting up off the couch and making her way over to the front door.

She opened it and smiled at the Dizznee's, letting them in and immediately taking Dex's hand and leading him to the living room—where she was watching Captain America: The First Avenger.

"So, what's the plan?" Dex asked as Sophie offered him her bowl of popcorn.

Sophie shrugged. "I'm pretty sure it's just our families. Edaline!" Sophie called to her mom. "Are the Dizznee's the only people you invited?"

"Yes," Edaline said back. "but I also extended the invitation, so Ro and Keefe should be here—"

"WHAT?!" Sophie exclaimed, jumping up from the couch and running into the kitchen. "What did you just say?"

"Well, I asked Mr. Sencen if he wanted to come too," Edaline explained. "but he said no. Then Ro said that she and Keefe would be over."

"Why'd you ask them?" Sophie asked, her eyes widening.

Edaline put her hands on her hips. "Because it's the Fourth of July and it's the neighborly thing to do."

Sophie groaned, stomping back into the living room, and collapsing onto the couch.

"Rough discussion...?" Dex asked her, shoving a handful of popcorn in his mouth.

Sophie glowered at Dex before slumping farther down on the couch and nodding. "I didn't really want Keefe to come."

"Why?" Dex asked. "Do you not like him anymore or something?"

"No," Sophie said quickly. "I'm just...I'm tired of everything being so awkward. He never talks to me anymore and I can't find any way to start up a conversation without everything going downhill."

"That does sound like a problem," Dex said, nodding. "But I'm sure Keefe would love to talk to you. He's probably just going through a lot of feelings right now."

Sophie sighed. "Well, so am I."

She wasn't trying to make everything about herself, but she was also going through a lot ever since she'd confessed to Keefe. She was dealing with confusion, regret, sorrow, anger, fear, and a ton of other emotions. She knew the giant toll that confessing to Keefe put on him, but it had also put a huge toll on her.

Especially since he hadn't given her an answer.

"I just..." She continued, looking down at her hands. "I guess I'd rather him have rejected me than have to wait for an answer. It's really hurting me."

"You don't mean that," Dex told her, wrapping her in a hug. "I know you—and I know Keefe too. You just need to give each other time."

Sophie nodded and opened her mouth to speak but was cut off by the doorbell ringing once again.

"That must be Ro and Keefe," Edaline said from the kitchen. "Can someone go get it?"

Sophie gave Dex a knowing glance, and he thankfully got the message and got up to get the door.

"Hey Keefe," She heard Dex say from the front door.

Sophie tried really hard to pretend to be engrossed in her popcorn and movie as Dex led them into the living room.

"Happy fourth of July Blondie," Ro said, walking over and plopping down next to Sophie. "It's great to see you again."

"Yeah," Sophie said, clearing her throat. "You too."