Ch. 73: Does it hurt?

"Are we there yet?"

Gareth sighed and rolled his eyes to the heavens, looking for divine intervention, when Rein asked the same question for the umpteenth time since they had left the castle in Italy.

They had barely left the driveway when he had asked for the first time. Leoni, who easily got caught up worshipping her older brother, and saw him as a shining example, followed suit, driving Gareth absolutely bonkers in no time.

Was it in the manual kids got when they were born?

In the 'how to piss off parents' section.

They had not been like that on their way to Italy. Everything had been new and exciting, and they had asked genuine and interesting questions on the trip, about the airport, planes, landscapes, and Italy. They had never flown before and never understood the concept of other countries and cultures. Italy was different enough to spark a lot of interesting and intelligent questions he and the uncles had enjoyed answering. They had not understood the secret mission they were on; they had seen it all as a fun trip.

Even staying in the room at the castle to stay hidden had been fun, because they had held no expectations of what would happen. The hotel room was an adventure in itself.

But now that they were going home, they just wanted time to pass fast and get back to their toys and uncles.

"Soon, Squirt."

"How soon?"

Groaning, Gareth looked to Mackenzie for help. She, of course, simply laughed silently at his torment and hugged a drowsy Leoni to her chest.

Jace and Phoenix were no help either. As well as the rest of them. They seemed to take a morbid pleasure in Gareth's daddy torment. Even Agatha. And it was her fucking job to take care of the kids, to relieve some of the pressure from Gareth!

They had left the castle with Jace, Phoenix, Cracker, Aidan, and Agatha, together with Gareth and Phoenix's parents after having sent Vittorio and Patricia off on their honeymoon.

A month of touring Asia and Australia.

They had taken Gareth's plane, while the rest traveled with traditional airlines to get back home. Many had stayed on for a bit to do some sightseeing and relaxation. Gareth had gladly allowed them that luxury with everything they had gone through the last year.

Mackenzie's idea of a big bash to show their appreciation, he looked forward to.

They deserved a party.

On the plane, Mackenzie had put the kids down for a nap, though Leoni had refused to sleep until Uncle Funny had hugged her.

Five times.

Gareth had to give it to Phoenix. The patience he had when it came to Leoni and Rein was admirable and so out of character. Even Jace, at times, looked at Phoenix with wonder. It was amazing to see and a big help for Gareth and Mackenzie to have The Uncle Squad at their aid.

Those kids would never want for anything.

Would never be without love, a roof over their heads, food, clothing, or a friendly ear and a shoulder to lean on. There would be hugs aplenty, parties, and presents galore. Their own private cheering section at any sports game, dance recital, or music performance in the future. They would have private tutors to help with their homework, plenty of opportunities to spread their wings, and always have the safety net of an extended loving family to come home to.

And Gareth could rest assured that Leoni would never, ever, get a boyfriend because any poor lad, dumb enough to try, would have to go through uncle purgatory to even get close to her.