9

Clary, Davina, and Alec are watching the videotapes of Davina's bedroom where the possessed Alec murdered Jocelyn in.

"Oh, my God. Clary, I-"

Clary holds up her hand like 'stop talking' and Alec stops.

"I have a demon to kill"

Clary walks away and Alec's face crumple slightly as he stares at Clary's retreating figures.

"It's not your fault Alec," Davina says. "We just need to kill this demon"

Davina, Alec, and Clary go to the training room to get weapons.

"Please, let me do this. You don't have to put yourself in danger. Not now"

Isabelle approaches them and they all sigh in relief.

"Izzy, we need your help! Jocelyn's-"

"Dead because of you" Isabelle snarls demonically.

"It's inside her," Clary says.

"It's still Izzy. Be careful where you aim" Alec says.

Alec gets his bow ready. Isabelle charges for Clary and throws her on the ground. She then grabs Davina and slams her head against the wall harshly. Isabelle then slams the bow out of Alec's hands and he grabs her.

"Izzy, please stop! Izzy!"

Isabelle pulls herself loose and throws Alec to the ground. She kneels over him as Davina pushes herself up from the ground.

"Always the favourite child. I'm done living in your shadow"

"Izzy, if you're in there, please listen to me," Alec says.

"Nice try" Isabelle smiles evilly.

Isabelle gets ready to pull his heart out when Davina jumps and pierces Isabelle's shoulder with a dagger. When she pulls the dagger out, the demon leaves Isabelle's body. Isabelle falls to the ground. The demon appears in front of Davina in the form of smoke.

"Go back to Hell where you belong"

"You're part demon" It hisses. "You belong there with me"

Clary sneaks up behind it and kills the demon.

"Izzy. Izzy, are you all right?" Davina asks.

"Izzy?"

"Izzy! Izzy, please. Please be okay, Izzy" Alec says and he watches as Davina places her hand on the sides of Isabelle's face and Alec watches as the vines on Davina's skin begin to move, the leaves drifting towards Isabelle.

They watch in suspense until Isabelle takes in a deep breath.

"What happened?" Isabelle asks and Davina sighs in relief.

Isabelle sits up and Alec holds her. Clary stands up, she and Alec make eye contact. Alec goes over Isabelle's iratze with his stele. Aldertree and Jace walk into the training room. Clary sits down. Simon rushes towards her."

"Hey," Simon says.

Simon kneels down and hugs Clary. Aldertree walks out. Jace goes to Alec and Isabelle, not yet noticing Davina. They help Isabelle up and Alec carries her out of the room.

"Davina-"

Davina turns to look at Jace.

"Can we talk?"

"Okay," Davina says. "The floor is yours"

"I'm sorry," Jace says. "I shouldn't have pushed you away. You still love me right?"

"Of course I do," Davina says. "Nothing could make me stop loving you unless I find out you're also my brother too"

"You're not funny"

Jace presses his lips to Davina's and she returns it before pulling away.

"Jace there's something you need to know," Davina says.

"What?"

"It's about your mother," Davina says. "Jocelyn, she-"

"What happened?" Jace asks.

"Jace, she's dead"

"What?"

"The demon," Davina says. "Jace I'm so sorry"

"I'm okay," Jace says. "How's Clary holding up?"

"She's upset obviously," Davina says.

That night, Davina and Jace are lay together when Clary knocks on the door. Davina had moved all of her stuff into Jace's room after he found out that Jocelyn had died in Davina's room.

"Vee, can you stay with me tonight?" Clary asks and Davina takes in her teary eyes before looking at Jace and he nods at her.

"Go"

Davina presses a quick kiss to his lips and she climbs out of the bed and hurries over to Clary.

"We'll get some hot chocolate okay?" Davina says. "You need a nice hot drink to get you to sleep"

Davina allows Clary to rest her head in her lap as she gently strokes her hair.

"I only just got her back," Clary says.

"I know"

"How did you deal with thinking Dot was dead?"

"I didn't," Davina says. "I just focused on everything going on. There's always something but now-"

"She's working with Valentine"

"Yep," Davina says. "And now a part of me would have felt more at ease if Valentine had killed her"

"Can you just talk?" Clary asks and Davina nods.

"It is a curious thing, the death of a loved one," Davina says, remembering an extract of a book she had read as a young teenager. "We all know that our time in this world is limited and that eventually all of us will end up underneath some sheet, never to wake up. And yet it is always a surprise when it happens to someone we know. It is like walking up the stairs to your bedroom in the dark, and thinking there is one more stair than there is. Your foot falls down, through the air, and there is a sickly moment of dark surprise as you try and readjust the way you thought of things"

Davina stops talking once Clary falls asleep.