Heart attack

July 10, 2021

Do you know when you get that weird feeling you get when you feel like something sketchy is going on? Yeah, I had that all day today.

I laid in bed scrolling through Instagram for a little while when I saw I had a new follow request.

Wendy_P111 has requested to follow you.

"Wendy Peffercorn?" I asked myself.

I clicked on her profile picture and opened her page. There were pictures of her and her lifeguard friends at the pool and some of her walking her dog. I just wondered how she found my account. I've never spoken a word to her before. Sure I've smiled at her when I went to the pool with the guys a couple of times, but I didn't think that meant we were a following each other on social media stage.

"Fuck it," I said as I clicked the follow button.

I accepted her follow request as well. Maybe she was just trying to be friendly because she knows squints.

I didn't have much on my Instagram page. Just pictures of my softball team and some of Benny and me that we took at the fair last night. I didn't post much. I only had three pictures on my page.

I tried to just convince myself that she was just trying to be nice, but I couldn't stop thinking about it at all.

I got out of bed and took a shower since I had to work at the bakery today. I didn't feel like blow-drying it, so I put it in a messy bun and did my mascara. I shuffled through all my clothes to try and find what to wear and decided on a red top with flowers and grey jean shorts.

I decided to skip breakfast because I was already an hour late

I got on my bike and rode as fast as I could to the bakery. When I got there, I locked it to the bike rack and ran up the steps and through the doors. All the chairs were still stacked on the tables, and the lights were off. There weren't any smells that made my mouth water like there normally was when I got there.

"Gran?" I yelled.

I reached into my back pocket and pulled out my phone so I could have it ready just in case anything bad was about to happen.

When I didn't get a response, I walked slowly behind the counter and towards the kitchen door.

"Gran you there?" I yelled again just in case she didn't hear me the first time.

I cautiously pushed the metal door open and poked my head into the kitchen. No one was there. I closed the door then walked over to one of the chairs on the table and set it down for me to sit in.

If no one was there then why were the doors unlocked?

I unlocked my phone and scrolled through all my contacts until my thumb stopped on Gran's number. I clicked on her name and called her.