More than a promise

July 5, 2021

I woke up extra early this morning so I could catch Phillips before he left.

I quickly shot out of bed and got dressed in a bright yellow baggy t-shirt and light blue jean shorts. I didn't do my hair, I just brushed it then put on mascara, and ran downstairs. I slipped on my sandals that were by the door then ran to the kitchen. I was awake before everyone else so I left a note saying where I was going just in case my dad or someone woke up before I was back.

My handwriting was sloppy, but I didn't care. I set the pen down next to the note even though it rolled off the counter, then ran outside and hopped on my bike.

He told me his address last night at the cookout because I told him I wanted to see him one more time before he left.

I peddled as fast as I could. My legs were burning, but I knew I had to get there before it was too late.

The blood was pumping through my veins and sweat was falling from my forehead. The sun was barely up, but it was still hot as always.

I turned onto his street just in time. Right as I pulled up to his house he was getting into the passenger seat of the car. I stopped my bike with my foot which made the bottom of my shoes lose their grip a little. When I came to a complete stop, I threw my bike to the ground and ran up to Phillips who had noticed me and ran to the sidewalk.

I basically threw myself at him, making him take a step backward so he didn't fall, and hugged him for what felt like forever. I didn't want him to let go.

"You seriously got up this early to see me?" he laughed as he held me in his arms.

I let go a little, but not all the way, and looked up at him.

"Of course I did." I smiled. "I wanted to say goodbye before you go."

"You're sweaty." he joked while making a fake disgusted face.

"Haha, very funny," I said sarcastically while pulling him in for another hug.

We held each other tightly until his mom rolled down her window.

"Come on Logan. We gotta go."

Her voice was like silk. I looked over to her and she sent me a sweet smile.

She had sunglasses on, so I couldn't see her eyes, I just assumed they were brown like Logans. Her hair was blonde and curled and her skin was pale and freckled like Phillips.

I looked back at Phillips with tears in my eyes.

He looked back down at me and his facial expression turned serious.

"Don't fall apart on me now," he said looking into my eyes.

"I'm not." I lied, "I just got something in my eye from riding my bike here." I said trying to hold the tears in.

He paused for a moment and admired my eyes which made me blush a little.

"Hey, " I said wiping underneath my eye to make my tears go away, "since you made me promise something, I think you should promise me something."

His smile came back on his lips as he said "oh really? And what would that be?"

"No fights." I laughed "And don't be a dick to everyone unless you have to."

I stepped back and held out my pinky, which he took with his.

"I promise." he smiled.

"Logan, " his mom said which made both of us look at her, "we really have to go if we don't wanna hit traffic."