"You'll be running back."

June 16, 2021

I was the last one up that morning. I woke up from a call from Gran.

"Hello?" I said in a tired voice, rubbing my eyes.

"Are you coming to the bakery today pumpkin?" she said concerned. "It already one."

My eyes went wide and I shot up.

"Gran, I'm so sorry I overslept. We stayed up really late last night." I got out of the sleeping bag and rushed to get my bag and went out the door.

"It's okay sweetie, just get here when you can." she hung up.

I climbed down the ladder with my bag on my back when I looked to see all the guys sitting on the grass staring at me.

"Why didn't you guys wake me up? I'm late to the bakery!" I said looking at all of them.

"We didn't wanna wake you up." Squints said taking a bite out of a sandwich.

"Yeah yeah, you looked so peaceful." Yeah Yeah said smiling at me.

I rolled my eyes. "Timmy, can I use y'all's bathroom please?"

"Yeah, the sliding door is unlocked, just turn left and go down the hall and it's the door at the very end."

"Thanks" I ran past them and into the house towards the bathroom.

As soon as I got in I locked the door behind me and changed into the extra Jean shorts and a white t-shirt.

I brushed my hair and put on mascara, deodorant, perfume, and my shoes then packed everything back into my bag and ran out the bathroom, into the hallway, and out the sliding door into the backyard.

I didn't even say bye to anyone before running out the back gate as quickly as possible and towards the bakery. That was the fastest I had run in a while.

When I had got to the bakery I was sweating and out of breath.

Gran looked up from what she was doing at me and started laughing.

"Glad you could join us today pumpkin. You look like you just ran a marathon." She said walking towards me with my apron so she could help me put it on like always.

"Maybe because I did," I said turning around so she could tie it.

"You didn't set your alarm before you went to bed?" She asked.

"No... I got a little sidetracked." I said blushing as I remembered Benny and I's kiss.

"Really?" She said spinning me back around to face her. "How so?" Her hands were on her hips, and she had that look on her face she made when she knew something.

"I'll tell you all about it later, right now I just need something for breakfast," I said handing back behind the counter, Gran following closely behind.

"There's fresh muffins in the kitchen. You can sneak one if you'd like." Gran said winking at me.

"Thank you, you're a lifesaver." I said running into the kitchen to grab one.

The bakery wasn't as busy today as it normally was, so I had a break between customers every now and then.

I was sitting on the counter reading my book when I heard the bell at the door ring. I put my bookmark where I was and stood up to walk over to the register to see who it was.

Of course, it was the last person I wanted to see... Jake. My heart sank just seeing him smile at me as if he hadn't looked at me like he wanted to kill me that night.